Respected Contributor

Doing a lot in 2 weeks...hoping to go to Paris for 3 days or so.  What would be the best things to see and best area to stay in???  We are working with a travel agent...

Trusted Contributor

Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Notre Dame, city bus tour, Arc de Triomphe, Musee Dorsay, Opera House, Sacre Coeur, to name a few.  I stayed in the Crowne Plaza Paris Republique in the 11th Arrondissement.

Trusted Contributor

Try to get to Monmartre Artists Square.

It's fabulous Heart

th5IJO9BJU.jpg

Respected Contributor

One of our favorite stops was Versailles....loved it.

Esteemed Contributor
I would just add to have alternate plans for the day in case of strikes. There was one day where museums and Versailles was closed due to them. They are advertised and don’t last long, but don’t be surprised by them and be flexible.

(I’m sure you won’t; this is just something that happened to me, so I’m mentioning.)

In addition to what other’s have mentioned, I also went to Monet’s garden at Giverny.
Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego:  Funny you should mention strikes in Paris!  Happened to me and a friend many years ago;  we had planned on seeing the Louvre but no power, no opening.  We shopped instead at Gallerie Lafayette and Au Printemps and figured since strike was scheduled to end at 5pm (train back to our jobs in Germany was at 8pm) no problem.  Boy were we wrong! We went down in Metro to catch a car back to our Left Bank hotel-- trains were on auto pilot and running but not on any schedule.  We found someone to write us a note in French (to the effect that we needed to get back to Left Bank to pick up our luggage and then go to Paris Nord to catch our train (reserved and paid for).  With the brashness of youth we flagged down two young Parisian men and their Citron car, shoved our note at them and they complied!  Once we reach Paris Nor d we found trains weren't resuming scheduled runs until the morning.  However there was a chartered train full of excited school kids ready to head to Germany.  We boarded the train, explained our dilemma and they accommodated us!  This was many years ago but still is a fine memory of  kind people in (to us a dire) situation.

Honored Contributor

If you are able to walk up a lot steps - get a ticket and climb the Notre Dame. The view is beautiful and so are the gargoyles

unknown-1.jpeg

I also enjoyed the Rodin Museum - it is a smaller place and the grounds are beautiful. When I went to Paris the 2nd time. I skipped the Louvre and scotted to Rodin. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 1.42.58 PM.png

Valued Contributor

1124.JPG

So many good ideas here but you must absolutely not miss the Sainte Chapelle on the Ile de la Cite.  Stunning stained glass--try to visit on a sunny day.  I also like the Rodin Museum, uncrowded and the garden is lovely.  What month will you visit?  If in summer be sure to book a hotel with air conditioning.  It was very hot (99) and humid in June 2017.  We like to stay in the 6th or 7th Arrondissement.

I prefer Vaux-le-Vicomte to Versailles.  Vaux inspired Versailles and is much less crowded.  However with only 3 days I don't think I would spend a day outside of Paris.  You might visit two major sites each day and then have a little time for strolling or cafe sitting.

Reserve online the top of the Eiffel Tower in advance; it often sells out.  Take a 1-hour cruise on the Seine, best at twilight as the city lights come on.  Most of these you can walk up to and buy tickets just before you want to cruise.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Respected Contributor

Thank you!  We are going in May.  Best way to choose restuarants?  I imagine hotels would help with this.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Thank you!  We are going in May.  Best way to choose restuarants?  I imagine hotels would help with this.

I probably rely too much on TripAdvisor, but they are usually my first stop. I like to look at the map and filter to see what restaurants are close to my hotel.  I’ve been known to have my meals planned out well in advance of my trip!! 😊

On my last cruise, I ended up googling “best restaurants in ...” once in port.

Finally, we’ve also used Rick Steves recommendations.

But, of course, I’m sure the hotel could help too.  Or, if you are taking any tours, ask the guide.