Esteemed Contributor

Re: Packing toiletries for flight

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@nanny24  Yes. Each person is allowed one quart size zip lock baggie. 
  When you go through TSA  you & your husband should remove them. You should each hold one until you clear the checkpoint. Then you can place them back in your bag.

You can't hold on to them while you clear the checkpoint. They have to go thru the x-ray machine, just like the bag does. You take them out of the bag, place them in a bin or bowl and send them thru screening separately. 

The exception would be if you have TSA PreCheck. Then you just leave everything in the

I used to pack for 10 day business trips in a single rollerboard bag. The 3-1-1 rule made that quite the challenge, but I managed. 

@FrostyBabe1  DH I have traveled many times & only once were we asked to place our zip lock bags on the X-ray belt in a bin.The other times we were allowed to hold them as we walked through the scanners.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@nanny24  Yes. Each person is allowed one quart size zip lock baggie. 
  When you go through TSA  you & your husband should remove them. You should each hold one until you clear the checkpoint. Then you can place them back in your bag.

You can't hold on to them while you clear the checkpoint. They have to go thru the x-ray machine, just like the bag does. You take them out of the bag, place them in a bin or bowl and send them thru screening separately. 

The exception would be if you have TSA PreCheck. Then you just leave everything in the

I used to pack for 10 day business trips in a single rollerboard bag. The 3-1-1 rule made that quite the challenge, but I managed. 

@FrostyBabe1  DH I have traveled many times & only once were we asked to place our zip lock bags on the X-ray belt in a bin.The other times we were allowed to hold them as we walked through the scanners.

I'm not going to say it didn't happen, but that's NOT what is SUPPOSED to happen.The TSA website, under the FAQ's for liquids, shows the correct procedure, which is the 3-1-1 bag being placed in a bin to be screened. Which airport is it that is allowing you to carry the 3-1-1 bag thru? I ask this not to pick at you, but because DHS should be notified so that they can work with the TSA team at that airport (or airports) to make the correction. 

I've flown over 1 million butt-in-seat miles on just one airline alone and even though I have TSA PreCheck and don't have to take anything out of my bag, I continue to see folks in the regular line being told to take their 3-1-1 bags out and place it in the bin to be screened. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 , no doubt what should be happening but it hasn't happened for me ever.  I was prepared to do it and then never had to.  And I don't have pre-check.  I have to go through security like everyone else. 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 , no doubt what should be happening but it hasn't happened for me ever.  I was prepared to do it and then never had to.  And I don't have pre-check.  I have to go through security like everyone else. 

I understand. And the last thing that I'm trying to do is be argumentative.

I just don't want folks who aren't experienced travelers to get to a checkpoint and get upset when they have to take their 3-1-1 bag out because they read here that others didn't have to do it. I hope that makes sense.

Frankly, if you've never been required to remove your bag, it gives me concern that the well published shortcomings of the TSA have not been corrected. That's a bit scary. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We have not been asked or required to take our quart size bag containing lotions, gels, makeup out of our carry on bag in over a year.  We have flown to Las Vegas, Nashville, and Scottsdale.  

Contributor

We were coming back from a trip and I had some liquid-gel allergy capsules. I had everything in the quart bag but forgot to pack these. I thought it would be ok in my carry-on. We always carry our medicine in our carry-on.

It showed up as a liquid and I was pulled to the side to have my carry-on searched. Of course, it was no big deal and they had me put these in my quart bag. 

On our way to Las Vegas, I got pulled to the side because I set off the alarm. It was the underwire in my bra. 

Esteemed Contributor

@WomanInTheMoon  Your post set off my Google fingers.  I guess it's good that the machine was so precise to catch the liquid medication, but liquid filled gel caps don't count in your limited liquid requirements.  Someone asked that exact question on the TSA's official Twitter account.  I'm going to guess that your medication wasn't in the container it came in or you had an overzealous agent (and you can't really argue with them!)

AD039A6E-2836-4D01-B798-6F25B5EDD617.jpeg

Contributor

@Alter Ego  That was several years ago and maybe things have changed. But you are right, when they say come over here, you do what they say. 

Honored Contributor

This is why I would never be able to travel with just a carry-on! 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@pbjb the small size bottles limit the amount of liquid a bad actor could use to make a bomb to blow things up.