Super Contributor

Packing toiletries for flight

DH and I going on a short trip, only taking one carry-on suitcase. I read the TSA rules about packing liquids, and it said EACH passenger can take a ziplock bag with as many bottles you can get in it. My question....does this apply to ONE carry-on? It is not clear to me. (Okay, I'm old!)  I am wondering if we can take 2 ziplocks in 1 carry-on. Thanks in advance!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Packing toiletries for flight

[ Edited ]

@nanny24  Yes. Each person is allowed one quart size zip lock baggie. 
  When you go through TSA  you & your husband should remove them. You should each hold one until you clear the checkpoint. Then you can place them back in your bag.

Super Contributor

Thank you! It was just not clear to me!!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@nanny24  Yes. Each person is allowed one quart size zip lock baggie. 
  When you go through TSA  you & your husband should remove them. You should each hold one until you clear the checkpoint. Then you can place them back in your bag.

You can't hold on to them while you clear the checkpoint. They have to go thru the x-ray machine, just like the bag does. You take them out of the bag, place them in a bin or bowl and send them thru screening separately. 

The exception would be if you have TSA PreCheck. Then you just leave everything in the bag. 

I used to pack for 10 day business trips in a single rollerboard bag. The 3-1-1 rule made that quite the challenge, but I managed. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 I just returned from a trip.  I had my toiletries packed in a cosmetic case that was inside of my carry-on bag.  I did not need to remove it from the carry-on for screening.  In addition to removing shoes, the only items that needed to be separated were electronic laptops and tablets.

Occasional Contributor

I have so many "lotions and potions" (mostly thanks to QVC and HSN), that it makes it so hard to travel just using a carry-on bag.  I wish the airlines would re-visit this rule.  I never quite understood why it makes a difference anyway.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pbjb wrote:

I have so many "lotions and potions" (mostly thanks to QVC and HSN), that it makes it so hard to travel just using a carry-on bag.  I wish the airlines would re-visit this rule.  I never quite understood why it makes a difference anyway.

The airlines don't make the rule. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security does. It has to do with the amount of certain liquids needed to make a bomb or other type of incendiary device. I sincerely doubt that it's ever going to go away. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@nanny24 I just returned from a trip.  I had my toiletries packed in a cosmetic case that was inside of my carry-on bag.  I did not need to remove it from the carry-on for screening.  In addition to removing shoes, the only items that needed to be separated were electronic laptops and tablets.

@Linmo , same here.  I have never had to remove my toiletries from my carry-on for screening.  

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 

Here's the link directly to the section of the TSA website that covers the 3-1-1 rule. I know that people mean well, but experiential stories can be "one off" occurences.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule 

The TSA also maintains an active prescence on Twitter and responds quickly to individual questions. When I've contacted them thru that venue, I take a screen shot of their reply should I be challenged at the checkpoint. Their Twitter used ID is "@TSA". 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@Linmo , same here.  I have never had to remove my toiletries from my carry-on for screening.  

Your toiletries must be within the guidelines.  Some people do it as a courtesy; it just makes it faster especially on international flights and in different countries.  I can't tell you how many times I've had to open my case when TSA has a question. Once was a bag of psyllium fiber because I was going to be staying for six weeks outside of the country and it even wasn't a liquid. Outside the US they are not so accommodating, items that will go through on the US side, have been confiscated coming back into the US.   And a quart Ziploc is supposed to be the maximum size.