Esteemed Contributor

For DH and my 25 th wedding anniversary our family bought us a trip to the New England states last week of September and first week October. We start in Boston and go to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. I have never traveled before and I am so stressed on what to pack!  Do I need a coat or fall jacket, how many shirts, pants. Long sleeve or short sleeve shirts. How do you figure it out!? Any advice to this novice traveler would be greatly appreciated. 

Honored Contributor

I was in Boston over Columbus day weekend a few years ago, it was beautiful warm during the day and the evening there was a definitive chill

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Packing help

[ Edited ]

@godi, average temps in Maine in the first week of October are in the high 50’s...57-59F.  Night temps are high 30’s to low 40’s.  I would dress in layers and also bring something for the odd warm day just in case.  A lovely time to be travelling.  Have fun!  LM

PS, I love to pack vests for these kinds of trips.

Respected Contributor

A few days before I leave on a trip I look at the 10 day weather report for that area.  Of course the weather can change but it gives me an idea of what the weather will be while I am there.  If it is going to be cool I take more long sleeved than short sleeved tops and vice versa.   I usually pack more tops than pants.  I also take a sweater I can throw on and a jacket that doubles as a raincoat.  

It sounds like a wonderful trip - have fun!

Esteemed Contributor
I'm wondering if there are any limitations to your luggage? Meaning how many bags you can bring and weight limits. Are you from a state with similar weather? I ask because I have a harder time going somewhere completely different weather wise.

At any rate, you will be in the US and should be able to pick up anything you forget. Don't worry! Sounds like a wonderful time - hopefully leaves will be changing shortly (I swear I already see some trees with beautiful red and burgundy leaves.). I also heard - just today in fact - that it will be a great year for fall color up north. The weather gods are lining up perfectly. I'm jealous!
Valued Contributor

@godi  

HAPPY #25 Anniversary !!   

What is the mode of transportation for this  New England States trip?  Car? Tour Bus?    

How many days will this trip be?   Carry On or Large Suitcase?  

I would check the 10 Day weather reports for the areas you are visiting for information. 

Pack easy wear/care mix and match items. Some folks do a three color theme that works.

Think in layers you can add or remove.  One nice dress up outfit  with accessories. ?? 

Start a LIST to consider what to take:    *Small Umbrella (handy in rain and sun)    

*Cell Phone & Charger   *Comfortable broken in walking shoes and socks  *HAT or Visor 

*Sunglasses  *MEDICATIONS  *Tylenol     (you get the idea)  

DH always reminds me whatever we forget there is always a WalMart nearby!  <G>   

We will be happy to help you pack, you can do this!  

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

Re: Packing help

[ Edited ]

MY DH and I used to go to Maine the first two weeks of September each year.  The days were warm, t-shirt weather.  As soon as the sun dropped it got cold.

One year we invited friends to come and join us on our trip.  I advised them to pack clothes for fall with long and short sleeve tops and to bring a warm winter coat.  They laughed at the winter coat idea and didn't pack one.

Well as luck I would have it, it got really cold, even during the daytime and my DH and at wore our coats, hats and gloves.  They wrapped themselves up in a fleece blanket one night to go out and the next day they bought winter coats.

Pack things you can layer.  The day time can be warm... 70's, but the nights can be really cold, even below freezing in the 30's.  Right now in Pennsylvania our nights are getting cold... lower 40's, which is unusual for this time of year,

i think the weather is colder than usual this year and I would be prepared.

Those states are all near the water and get cold as soon as the sun goes down.  We pack, jeans, sweaters, and long and short sleeve shirts.  Also a sweat shirt in case we take a boat ride,  Dress pants and a nice top for dinner, though most places are casual.  We eat lobster on picnic tables at the pounds.  Take comfortable shoes.

You will have fun and enjoy yourself.  Those states are beautiful and you should be able to do some leaf peeping.  It's a great time of year to visit.

Honored Contributor

I'd pack for cooler weather.  Not sure what temp your coming from.  If it's a warm climate, you may feel cold.  If it's a four season climate, it should be similar to home.  A fall coat or sweatshirt.  No winter coat.  2 short sleeve tops.  The rest long sleeve tops and pants.  As already mentioned, check the weather before you pack.  

Also take into account what you'll be doing.  Are you going to the water?  Taking a boat ride?  I'd pack a warmer clothes for those events.

Valued Contributor

IMG_1440.JPG

What a lovely gift!  Happy Anniversary!

This is what I would do.  (I live in New Hampshire.)

It is possible the days will be warm. (I am wearing shorts, today.) The evenings will be cool and will require a light jacket.

I would not take a coat.  (Unless you are planning to go out on the ocean, which can be very cold and you will also need a hat and gloves.)  I have a down "sweater" that I would take.  (Picture above). It takes no space in my suitcase and doesn't weigh anything. I can wear it during the day, to the restaurant for dinner (New England is casual dress) or ball it up and use it as a pillow. It is not as warm as a down jacket so it is perfect for early fall. 

Or, I would take a windbreaker and layer underneath it. 

I travel light.  If I need something I didn't pack, I figure I can always buy it on my trip.

I also leave home any item that only matches with one item.  I want to mix and match.  My clothes have to do double duty.  

At least a week in advance, I start my packing.  I put my suitcase in my bedroom and make neat piles of possible outfits.  Each night, I rethink what I have in piles and continue to weed out those items that cannot be combined to make multiple outfits. By the time I leave, I feel confident I have a well thought wardrobe.

For a two week trip, I would pack two or three pairs of solid color pants (one of them black) one pair of jeans, a pair of black capris, a nice jean skirt and 2 pair of walking shorts. 

I usually pack a white and black cardigan. (A black cardigan and black pants can make a nice evening outfit.)

I pack the same tops I like to wear at home.  Bring some long sleeves and some short sleeves. You may even pick up a new one on your trip! We have some nice stores Smiley Happy

My only other comment would be to consider what shoes you will have to bring when picking your pants.    At home, I have the luxury of choosing from my closet whatever heel height will go with my pants. Shoes take up a lot of room in a suitcase!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@godi

Happy Anniversary!

1) layer

2) wrap -- cashmere or wool light

3) hooded sweatshirt (hood serves as umbrella)

4) great comfortable shoes... tennies... and maybe in suede?

4) dark blue denim and black denim pants

5)  thin, all cotton turtlenecks 4; crew necks 3

congratulations! Have fun!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~