Respected Contributor

Thinking of going in the spring...any suggestions where to stay and eat?

Respected Contributor

Wish I could help. Always stayed with family when visiting back there. I'm sure you can find acceptable hotels and restaurants. Enjoy playing tourist at Canada's capital city.

Super Contributor

What type of accommodation are you looking for? The Chateau Laurier is right downtown. It's by the large shopping centre, Rideau Centre, by the Rideau Canal and near Elgin Street which has tons of restaurants. There's the Westin Hotel in the Rideau Centre as well and both hotels have lovely views.

There's other, non-heritage building hotels downtown as well. The downtown core of Ottawa isn't very big, so it's easy to get around. There has been a lot of construction the past few years. Ottawa is installing a light rail system that is running through the downtown.

Both of these hotels are near the Byward Market. Also tons of restaurants there and another hotel - I think the Novotel.

If you come in May, there's the Tulip Festival along the Rideau Canal and there might be at least one music festival around that time.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl  Are you talking about Ottawa?  I believe it is the capital of Canada.  I was there many years ago and you wll think you are in London.  There is a river or canal that runs around the city and it is quite beautiful.  I would go online and type in the name of the city and receive names of hotels which ratings and rates.  A last resort is always a Holiday Inn.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

May 11-21 is the Ottawa Tulip Festival. If you can arrange to go then, you will be in for a beautiful time. During WW2, a hospital room in Ottawa was declared Dutch territory so that the royal family could have their baby on Dutch soil, since Holland was occupied by the Nazis. The Dutch were so grateful that they sent many thousands of tulip bulbs to the people of Canada’s capital, Ottawa. 

I imagine it may be hard to get hotel rooms at festval time. During my visits to Ottawa, I’ve stayed at the Château Laurier but there are many excellent hotels and B&Bs to choose from. I’d check Trip Advisor for guidance. There is so much to see and do...a magnificent art museum, a museum of civilization across the river in Hull, QC as well as a great underground mall and a pedestrian mall. I haven’t visited Ottawa for a long time so it would be wise to check current tourism sites. Nevertheless, I guarantee you will have a great time there.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ottawas, Ontario

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl, the recommendations of Chateau Laurier and The Westin are good ones.  They are pretty well across the street from one another.  You can walk along Rideau Canal.  In winter, you can skate the canal.  There are also many other hotels in the area.  Check out The Lord Elgin which is much smaller than the first two but in the same general location.  Trip Advisor will give you hotel specific reviews.  Ottawa has an earlier Spring than Nova Scotia (where I live) and is a nice City to visit.  Enjoy your trip.  LM