Trusted Contributor

On a fall road trip in MI UP

[ Edited ]

B474EA79-20B8-4E1B-ADAA-9E687E3B4A67.jpegJust finishing up as we will be heading south today to go back home (that means crossing the Mackinaw Bridge—yeah!). Colors are just beginning up here. We only went as far west as Marquette on Lake Superior. Sad to be going home but when the fall colors peak, we’re on for another trip to the northern part of the lower peninsula ( if you put your left hand in front of you, palm facing out, we’re going to to tip of your pointer finger). I live just below the knuckle of your ring finger. Happy Trails to all of you this fall.

Honored Contributor

Re: On a fall road trip in MI UP

@joannechaMichigan is one of the few states that's still on my bucket list for several reasons.  I hadn't thought of it for fall colors.  Thank you for educating.

Respected Contributor

My favorite Michigan places are in the Upper Peninsula.  Next time you go check out Fayette (a state park that is a totally restored iron smelting town (located right on Big Bay de Noc) and Big Springs/ Tichitakipi (I probably spelled that wrong)...a state park where you pull yourself across the spring in a glass bottom boat and can see the bottom of the springs and HUGE fish!

The UP is truly beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

It's beautuful Up North, ain't it? 😉

Hope you stopped in Munising to take in Pictured Rocks. Lake Superior is stunning when taking a boat tour. 

Don't forget your fudge!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you had a lovely getaway!  I would like to visit Michigan someday.

I'm in PA and we went up to the northern part of the Poconos last week for a couple of days.  Only an hour drive into a 2 1/2 hour drive to our destination we started to notice fall foliage beginning.  The weather was very fall like and during the day went into the low 70s and below 50 at night.  Now we're going into another heat wave.  Temps are going up to 93 on Wednesday!

Trusted Contributor

OP here. Did Fayetteville 2 years ago and have been to Kitchitikipi many times. Today we had time to kill, so we took a tour of the Coast Guard icebreaker Mackinaw which has been decommissioned and is sitting in port. Very cool.

Trusted Contributor

Did the pictured rocks boat ride 2 years ago. Neat trip. Can’t attach a picture as the file is too large. Bummer.

Honored Contributor

DH worked all over the midwest in electrical construction, so we were exposed to many locations.  We liked the UP so much we moved here 12 years ago.  

Respected Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

OP here. Did Fayetteville 2 years ago and have been to Kitchitikipi many times. Today we had time to kill, so we took a tour of the Coast Guard icebreaker Mackinaw which has been decommissioned and is sitting in port. Very cool.

Thanks for spelling Kitchitikipi .....I knew it began with a "K"....don't know why I used a "T" lol!  I've been there many times through the years.  My Dad went there back in the 1930s.....he loved it, too.  It's fun to look at old pictures to see how the "raft" has evolved.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@joannecha 

Oh, how I envy you! I have been in the UP only once, in the spring, and I fell in love with it! It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.