Honored Contributor

Okay cruisers. Question Regarding Gifts/Care Packages

I fairly recently joined a cruisers group on FB.  I love the group and have received some great tips and advice reading there.

Most recently, the issue of gifts and/or care packages for the stewards and waitstaff was brought up. Someone asked if people did this and the overwhelming response was yes.

Most people who answered said they took care packages/gifts and passed them out.  Many said they gave travel size personal care items, t-shirts and money.  It had never even crossed my mind to put together a care package for anyone on the ship.  

I leave a daily tip for our cabin steward and then on the last day of the cruise we hand him/her a larger tip.

Our first cruise with RCL we sat at the same table and had the same waiters the entire cruise so on our last day, we gave them a larger tip.  Last year on NCL we were all over the dining room and never had the same waiters twice so we tipped at each meal and that was it.  

Wondering what the other cruisers do.        

Honored Contributor

Re: Okay cruisers. Question Regarding Gifts/Care Packages

The cruises we've done in recent years on Holland America and Norwegian automatically add the "tip" to your bill.  Years ago we handed out envelopes with money to the various crew members but I actually find the current way better.  Never heard of giving "care packages" to the crew!

Respected Contributor

The crew have very small quarters & don't have room for stuff. Most likely it will be thrown away. Just give cash that is what they can use to get what they need.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because so many passengers overlooked (?) the customary tipping guidelines in the past, many cruise lines have had no choice but to add the the gratuities to all passengers bills at the end of the cruise.

We were on one cruise a while back where a man walked away from the last nights dinner without leaving any tip for the waiter or busboy, for all 7 days..  I was shocked when the waiter ran after him, demanding the tips. 

I've never made care packages, brought gifts.  It's a nice gesture, but who does that for people they haven't yet met?.  I think if their service is extraordinary, give them what they really need ,more money.

Esteemed Contributor

I give cash and I think that is what is most appreciated by the crew.  Many send money home.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

The crew have very small quarters & don't have room for stuff. Most likely it will be thrown away. Just give cash that is what they can use to get what they need.

@CLHS68 Excellent point. They have NO room.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

This.

Could you imagine if everyone gave them a T-shirt or trinket!!

Cash is most useful (although I’m being a small hypocrite as I have left a bag of candy thinking the staff could share.) 

Trusted Contributor

A friend told me an idea when taking an international cruise:  instead of cashing in her foreign money at the end of the cruise, she just leaves it for the room attendants and waiters.  That way, when they have time ashore, they will have money to spend.  I think that is very kind.

Respected Contributor

I have gone on many cruises and just returned from one. I have never heard of or seen care packages given to staff or servers. Years ago, tips were left for those who served you but now, tips are given automatically and charged against your onboard account. You can opt out if you want, but why would you? I also give extra to those who provide me with excellent service.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I have taken many cruises but never heard of this practice.  Yes, tips/gratitues are included now in your bill.  But we always tip additionally to those like our room stewards, wait staff on an individual basis who make our cruise fantastic.