Esteemed Contributor

Offline translator (Spanish)?

Hello Travelers!  I was wondering if any of you could recommend an app or device for translating English to Spanish and Spanish to English?

I have a family member who will be traveling to the Caribbean and working in medical clinics in Haiti and Dominican Republic.  He took a few years of Spanish in high school and middle school, and they have shared common phrases and questions with him, but he would still like to have access to a hand held translator.  He has an iPhone 7 and iPad that he plans to take.  Do you know of any translation apps that can be used offline, or could you recommend a good e-dictionary (bilingual) that could be downloaded onto his devices?  

He has tried the Google Translate app, but we're wondering if there is something better?  

Thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

Re: Offline translator (Spanish)?

@wildcat fan

As a Spanish teacher, I can say that Google translate does not do a great job of translation.Cat Frustrated

Have you checked out Berlitz?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@wildcat fan

As a Spanish teacher, I can say that Google translate does not do a great job of translation.Cat Frustrated

Have you checked out Berlitz?

@lolakimono We haven't tried Berlitz, but I'm going to look into it today. I didn't realize Berlitz would have something that would work offline, but I do see something in the App Store that looks like it would be very useful.  Thank you for taking the time to respond!  šŸ˜Š

We've seen Google Translate's limitations (some pretty comical), but that's what kept coming up when I did a simple Internet search.  I just knew someone here would have a better suggestion!  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan

Also, check this app out since you mentioned medical Spanish.

Spanish-English Medical Dictionary (Offline) By SoftLingo

Image result for medical spanish offline translator softlingo

Esteemed Contributor

That looks like another good one @lolakimono!  Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

lolakimono is soooo right,

Never ever use Google translate unless you know the language like a native speaker would and then pick and choose. 

WordReference is a good one and has a specific section for technical jargon. Many translators use it and it also has a question/ answer sectionšŸŒ»

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the recommendations @CHIP62 and @lolakimono!  These look like just what he needed.  šŸ˜Š