Respected Contributor

Re: October trip to Boston and then on to cruise New England to Canada ADVICE PLEASE

Hotel? Marriot Long Wharf, hands down. I'm not sure what you think is "High" for a hotel rate, but we're talking about a major city in the northeast so quite frankly, anything under $300 a night is reasonable. 

No, they don't have shuttle service from the airport or to the cruise port, but taxi's are plentiful, both at the airport and at the hotel. Just slip the bellman a nice tip and they'll take good care of you. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

Re: October trip to Boston and then on to cruise New England to Canada ADVICE PLEASE

Does the cruise line have a pre cruise package that would include both the hotel and transfers?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bonnie, I know of  a few who took that same cruise in mid Sept and found it to be very chilly. I have been to all of those places but on land, Bar Harbor, Nova Scotia, Boston, Portland, all lovely but went in August. WX was perfect then. Just wanted to give you a heads up. 

Honored Contributor

As others have suggested, check with Celebrity for any pre-cruise hotels/transfers.  It will be expensive but Boston is an expensive city.  Fortunately, it it not very large and taxis will get you where you want to go.

In all probability it will be chilly so dress in layers.

I found the John Adams house/library very interesting and if you're a fan of Anne of Green Gables, Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island is a must.  Even if you're not, it's a very nice place.  

Hope you're going to Quebec City and Montreal.

In any event, bon voyage!!

Esteemed Contributor

The only time I stayed in Boston Area I was in Government per diem; what they allocated didn't begin to cover an in City hotel near my (5 day) conference.  DH and I had a rental car and decided to stay within driving distance of the MTA so that we could use satellite parking.  We stayed in Saugus (Salem) and enjoyed great scenery and meals coming and going to Saugus.  I remember the Hill Top steak restaurant and a gigantic Chinese restaurant that looked like part of the Summer Palace in Beijing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There should be a website for the cruise port.  I would suggest looking at it as it may have area hotels that are nearby and they will indicate if there is a  shuttle.

My suggestion too would be to check shuttle prices.  Some of the shuttles are free but some are rather costly and you may be better off doing Uber.

We are going on a cruise out of Port Everglades in April on RCL.  The transfer from the airport to the port is $25.00 per person.  Uber is under $10.00 for both of us.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the previous poster who said to check out Trip Advisor. Taxis and Ubers are plentiful. Hotel rooms are on the higher side as Boston is an important historical city with many Universities etc, etc. My nephew is at Brandeis, right outside of Boston and got around fine his first year when he was not allowed a car. There's no stopping him now that he's a juniior LOL!! Celebrity does have a section on their website for pre and post cruise stays and activities. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

The only time I stayed in Boston Area I was in Government per diem; what they allocated didn't begin to cover an in City hotel near my (5 day) conference.  DH and I had a rental car and decided to stay within driving distance of the MTA so that we could use satellite parking.  We stayed in Saugus (Salem) and enjoyed great scenery and meals coming and going to Saugus.  I remember the Hill Top steak restaurant and a gigantic Chinese restaurant that looked like part of the Summer Palace in Beijing.

@patbz   the gigantic Chinese restaurant was likely WeyLu's . They closed in '98 .  Another Chinese restaurant, Kowloon, sits atop a hill and is still in business.  my ex took me there on our first date...

The Hilltop is gone as is The Ship (seafood)  in nearby Lynnfield.   If one could brave the crazy traffic on Rt.1 there were lots of great eateries.

Hilltop was always fun,  you took a number and sat at the bar. or waited outside on the porch along with dozens of other patrons.       when they called your number they would give the dining room name "Dodge City, Sioux City, Kansas City...