Super Contributor

October or November trip to Gatlinburg?

We are thinking about taking a trip to the Gatlinburg, TN area this fall, and would like opinions on when to go and what to do while we're there.

We have 3 kids and we can do short day hikes, and would love to see peak foliage if possible. What are your suggestions? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: October or November trip to Gatlinburg?

[ Edited ]

@PreKteacher  We were there at the beginning of October last year and the sidewalks were packed.  I really have no recommendations as we drove the Blue Ridge Parkway for most of it.  Just be mindful of the crowds and be safe.  The area is lovely and I am sure that you will find many things to do with the kids.

For a great breakfast, go to the Apple Barn in Sevierville, not too far from Gatlinburg.  Delicous food, really too much food, and at a very reasonable price.

Let me add that there is a general store on the grounds, a bakery, wine shop, and just lots of shopping.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

There is so much to do there and in neighboring Seiverville.  You will not have a problem finding something to do for your family.

I suggest you Google Gatlinburg, Dollywood & Seiverville to see whats happening at that time of the year.  Their websites will most likely have the times of the peak fall leaf changing.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

We went in mid Oct as a day trip when we were in Asheville, NC, it was fine for us for just one day. walked along the main drag, had dinner at Corky's, which was not very good, then drove back to Asheville. WX was lovely. 

Valued Contributor

@PreKteacher   It certainly is very beautiful there at that time of the year, and it can be crowded. We usually try to time our trip with catching a concert at Harrah's in Cherokee, NC (no idea if they are currently open or not)---since Cherokee is very close to Gatlinburg. It's also a great drive too, very scenic. 

One year we went at the very end of November (after Thanksgiving) and ended up with ice on the roads. Those are not roads I want to drive in slippery conditions lol....thankfully the ice didn't last long and it only delayed us a couple of hours. 

Hope you have fun! I don't think you will run out of things to do, even if you don't plan everything out. I like just going  up and riding around, stopping and doing whatever we feel like doing.

(we usually hit Maggie Valley on the way back too)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Super Contributor

Middle Oct. is usually a good time to start to see the leaves changing, altho a lot depends on the rain, weather etc.  I love to eat at The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge---huge portions, good food, but usually a wait---for breakfast, lunch or dinner, unless you go at an off time.  Lots of outlet shopping in Pigeon Forge.  Gatlinburg is full of unique shops and I'm sure you know about the Bridge!  

Have fun----plenty of stuff for all ages!

Honored Contributor

@PreKteacher,

Dollywood has their Christmas decorations up now, which is a beautiful sight to see.   

One of my adult daughters just got back from a nice, relaxing weekend there.   She went with a friend who towed their camper down and set up in a nearby campground, so they had their lodging and food taken care of.   

Dollywood hours are reduced, with limited visitors allowed, masks are mandatory, social distancing reminders were everywhere in the park, and you must call in advance for tickets/reservation, or you will not be allowed in.   

My daughter went shopping in 2 specific stores; masks required, and only a certain number of people were allowed in at any given time.   

Super Contributor

@RedTop Thanks! We have tickets for Dollywood, and the weather looks good for a couple of days of hiking after that. We can't wait to go!