Contributor

Re: October-November Trip to Mexico

Absolutely.  Out of respect for friends, family, coworkers etc, it was necessary to quarantine upon return.

Respected Contributor

My many, many plans were put on hold (no Spring Caribbean cruise, no Summer China tour, no Winter Alps ski vacation).  Even traveling out of state requires a quarantine around here!

Some places like Mexico may be desperate for tourists, but are probably not able to adequately put all the many health procedures into place. I would never want to have to use the Mexican hospital system during a pandemic.

Others require a negative covid test.  But, negative covid tests are not always error-free!  

I put my health and safety above any travel experiences at this time.

No airplanes or cruise ships for me until the vaccine is fully in place--I am guessing around 2022 I will travel internationally again.

Super Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

My many, many plans were put on hold (no Spring Caribbean cruise, no Summer China tour, no Winter Alps ski vacation).  Even traveling out of state requires a quarantine around here!

Some places like Mexico may be desperate for tourists, but are probably not able to adequately put all the many health procedures into place. I would never want to have to use the Mexican hospital system during a pandemic.

Others require a negative covid test.  But, negative covid tests are not always error-free!  

I put my health and safety above any travel experiences at this time.

No airplanes or cruise ships for me until the vaccine is fully in place--I am guessing around 2022 I will travel internationally again.

You said it better than I could. I will not think about traveling until the end of 2021 or 2022. If you don't care about yourself think about others. I couldn't imagine going on any trip in 2020 much less toward the end of the year. I agree about not knowing about other places of whether they take the precautions that we do & I sure wouldn't want to be hospitalized in another country.

Respected Contributor

I'm hoping to start traveling by May.  I won't go unless I have had both doses of the vaccine though. 

Honored Contributor

I have friends who did a short 4 day to Mexico in November and another who is a travel agent who was recently at a new resort in Barbados.  Both said the measures taken against Covid were extraordinary.  

However, not all that long after my friends returned from Mexico, I heard on the news that Mexico had an uptik in covid cases so I'm not sure what the situation is now.

Par of the problem is that I certainly wouldn't want to be somewhere like Mexico or any of the island countries like the Bahamas, Barbados, Dominican Republic, etc. and become ill.  I can't imagine what their healthcare is like.       

Honored Contributor

Had a trip to Kenya/Tanzania planned for July/August 2020 and postponed it to July 2021 and just postponed it again until late July 2022.  No way I'm traveling anywhere any time soon.  Not worth the risk.

Trusted Contributor

Like all of you, we've cancelled three trips in 2020.  We also just cancelled an end-of-January trip from NY to CA to see my step-son and his wife - it's the third time we've cancelled.  

Working on hopeful plans to travel to France in September 2021 - the same trip that we cancelled in 2020.  Watchin you tube travel videos helps, but also makes me wistful.  

Originally we were going to France last fall and planning a trip to Spain this fall to hike a portion of the Camino de Santiago.  I had actually started 'training' last spring (I have some minor foot issues that I wanted to make sure were worked out before committing to many kilometers per day of walking).  Since 2021 is a 'special' year for the pilgrimage and won't be repeated for a while, I'm particularly sad to miss the walk this fall.  

Were we in our 40s, missing European trips would not be as saddening as it is now in our 60s.  We are still healthy, but we all know what happens as the time ticks on.  

I wonder about the price of airfare and accomodations when this is all over - the availability of which will surely have contracted when the dust settles.  

When I think about the long term effects of this terrible virus on the world, I'm saddened.  But, as a student of history, I also know that human beings will get past this, as we have many other disasters in the past.  

Happy travel planning everyone!

Regular Contributor

For the person who stated Mexico and other locales are "desperate" for tourists and aren't taking care of sanitation and other recommendations, you couldn't be more incorrect.

Remember, there's no unemployment insurance in Mexico or other countries that helps an unemployed worker.  The Mexican people are extremely invested in cleaning and sanitation along with masks and social distancing because if they aren't, they won't have jobs.