Contributor

October-November Trip to Mexico

We had a great trip to Playa del Carmen Mexico back in late October 2020 and I am so happy we went.  It was so sad to see the low occupancy at the resort but extraordinary in the way that the people and premisses adapted.

We also looking forward to a trip in February to Punta Cana.  I would like to wait until we have been vaccinated but may not be able to wait.

I would like to hear from others that have or are planning on travel.

Honored Contributor

Re: October-November Trip to Mexico

We cancelled several trips we had planned in 2020 and have already cancelled 2 trips in 2021 that we had planned.  We're hoping to go on a European cruise in October but I give that a 50/50 chance.  Won't be going if I have to wear a mask for 8+ hours on a plane and on the ship.

Esteemed Contributor

I just canceled my June/July trip to France. I’m very pro-mask but, for some reason, wearing a mask there does not appeal. I travel solo and take group tours - there’s no telling if there will be restrictions or if I would be forced to take more expensive private tours, etc.

I am currently scheduled to go to Florida in April. This is not a typical beach and/or mouse trip. It’s wildlife focused with a very small group who is serious about covid protocols (I’ve used this group before and trust them.) I will probably be tested before I go even though not required - just think it’s a responsible thing to do.

I’m considering a Yellowstone trip in July with another well respected company - I have a credit with them that goes through 2022 for a cancelled 2020 trip.

My BIG trip is Rwanda in November - my birthday trip postponed. The country has covid protocols in place that I can’t expect would go anywhere anytime soon. I will have no problem wearing my mask here when necessary. I really hope I don’t need to reschedule again.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I cancelled a 2 week trip to Maui last October ( was maybe possible but would have cost $400-$600 to get tested w/n 72 hrs, what would be open, etc).  We have severely limited even out of town travel ( 3 essential trips in 10 mths). With that in mind, we're looking at several cruises in 2022.

Respected Contributor

The only travel we would of liked to have done was see our families in July and November (for Thanksgiving).  It's a 17 hour plus drive, husband won't fly even pre-pandemic.  But didn't want to take any chances with my Mom.  It's been a year and a month since we saw our families and it's been hard just as it's been hard on everyone.  We do have a 5 day trip planned for WDW in October but that's not written in stone.  We will cancel if need to.

Esteemed Contributor

If you choose to travel, all the rest of us pray that you do a full quarantine upon return.  Please don't spread it. 

Valued Contributor

We had a Maui trip planned in 2020 that we didn't go on.

We were going to spend a portion of the winter in St John, USVI. We cancelled that, as well. We felt it would have been selfish and irresponsible to travel there. Especially since most (serious) health issues need to be addressed on St Thomas (and is only accessible via ferry).

We realize the small island has a struggle with balancing tourism/economy and health. Throughout the years, we have tried to help the residents there during times of hardship (hurricane and Covid). The plan was to look for a residence there this winter; "virtual showings" are helpful!

Respected Contributor

No plans here. Grocery store visits are the only trips I've made in the last 9 months. That's bad enough. 

I'm not a big world traveler, anyway, preferring B&B stays in small country locations, stopping along the way, that are not too far from me. I've found some unique places. I miss that.

To those who feel they still must travel, please follow all protective guidelines. I certainly would avoid travel with such an uptick in cases.  Vaccines will be more readily available soon. Get them first, if possible.  I know everyone has cabin fever, but still ...

Honored Contributor

No plans. We spent Christmas on the porch to practice social distancing so we're coming from a much different perspective safety wise 

Super Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

If you choose to travel, all the rest of us pray that you do a full quarantine upon return.  Please don't spread it. 

Yes please quarantine. I wouldn't even consider traveling within the next 6 months as it is getting worse. Now with the new virus that spreads even faster it is imperative that people stay home. It is selfish & the meme attitude. Please, please don't spread it.