Respected Contributor

Does anyone have experience with Oceania Cruises?  If so, would you mind sharing your experience.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

I wish during their off-season they would give a better deal for single travelers. I think I would enjoy a cruise, but I am a widow and I would have to pay the single supplement which sometimes is up to 100% of my ticket!

So I have opted to travel on my own on planes and trains.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Oceania Cruises

[ Edited ]

@Somertime wrote:

Does anyone have experience with Oceania Cruises?  If so, would you mind sharing your experience.  Thank you!

A friend and I cruised with Oceania 2 years ago (7 day Bermuda).  Believe there was a day in Bahamas and the rest of the time it was docked in Hamilton in Bermuda.  

Because the ships are smaller with less passengers our ship was able to dock right in town without having to tender.  The biggest difference I noticed - they have less passengers onboard and are much more into passenger satisfaction and the whole vibe was so much more relaxed.  Food was better and they had good shows.  I'm 66 and the other thing I noticed was the age of passengers onboard was older (I saw no kids onboard and I was probably one of the younger ppl onboard - probably bc it's more expensive). 

Getting on and off you didn't have ppl running to be the first one on or off.  I believe there were 2 dinner servings.  IIRC your excursions were all included in your price too.  Whenever I cruised with friends we all had our own staterooms so are very familiar with the single supplement - I think my friend and I each paid 150% bc we were in our own rooms (but we also were new to that cruiseline so had no loyalty level built up if there was one).   I think my friend and I felt that it was worth going on that line again but sadly she died about 8 months after we got back.  

ETA:  if we were to go on Oceania again we were interested in places farther away but i.e., going to Europe - would be very cost prohibitive (as in almost as much as I paid for  my current SUV).  Before friend died we were trying to figure if we wanted to save to go to Europe or Asia to see what a much longer trip would be like.

Respected Contributor

@Financialgrl   Thank you so much for explaining your experience!  Sounds exactly what I was looking for.  How was your stateroom or did you chose a suite?

I like the idea of a smaller ship, most are a floating hotel, these days!

Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@Financialgrl   Thank you so much for explaining your experience!  Sounds exactly what I was looking for.  How was your stateroom or did you chose a suite?

I like the idea of a smaller ship, most are a floating hotel, these days!

We used a travel agent that could get us a cheaper rate and he told us the larger staterooms on Oceania were always the first to go.  We each were in a C-1 outside room with a large window.  Our staterooms were 165 sq ft.  

As a matter of fact I think the description of the Regatta that we sailed said it was a ship bought from Princess (the former Renaissance) and completely overhauled and   I'd say the staterooms were not much different than what we used to get on Princess ships.  It makes sense bc most cruiselines have almost all gotten rid of their smaller ships and gone to the ones holding thousands of passengers.  The Regatta we sailed has more in the range of 650 passengers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I wish during their off-season they would give a better deal for single travelers. I think I would enjoy a cruise, but I am a widow and I would have to pay the single supplement which sometimes is up to 100% of my ticket!

So I have opted to travel on my own on planes and trains.  

You may like Cunard.