Occasional Contributor

Would anyone be able to advise me on some nice beach areas near Ocean City, MD? We don't really want to be overly close to the boardwalk area but are unfamiliar with other areas close that would have lodging available?  Thanks in advance.

Contributor

If you are looking to stay in a hotel we always stay at the Dunes Manor. It is located down at the lower end streets and is a block off of the boardwalk which is convenient but very quiet. It is right on the beach so the ocean front balconies are very nice. They have a good restaurant on premises. They also have a snack bar open during peak times but we always go off season so we don't take advantage of that amenity.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ocean City, MD area

[ Edited ]

The boardwalk starts at the inlet, and ends at 27th Street. It's 2¼ miles long. Ocean City and the beach runs all the way up to 146th Street. There is plenty of lodging along the entire stretch. All of the beach is nice.

I was there earlier this month. The first picture is one I took of the boardwalk at 27th looking south. The second picture isn't mine, but it was taken some years ago at 27th looking north. (I blurred the faces of the people.) The pink building is the Dunes Manor that @PartDeux mentioned. The tram is also in that picture. It runs from near the inlet up to 27th St.

We also like to go there in the off season. Less expensive and less crowded.

boardwalk 27.jpg

oc dunes.jpg

Respected Contributor

Are you on a budget?  Hotels are EVERYWHERE in Ocean City. There are also tons of condos.  Wherever I stay, I usually find myself going down to the boardwalk anyway, just to stroll, eat ice cream, watch the fireworks, etc. 

DH and I can do a long weekend down there every few years just for a nice getaway. All beaches are free.  We went last summer during the pandemic and felt very comfortable. 

The boardwalk only runs up to 27th Street, but Ocean City goes up to over 150 streets!

Favorite hotel on the boardwalk:  Grand Hotel (great location, indoor & outdoor pools, lots of restaurants)

Favorite hotel off boardwalk:  Princess Royale (huge indoor pool, bright and airy), nice beach

Favorite restaurants:  Phillip's Crabhouse (historic), Harrison Harbor's Watch

You may want to go to TripAdvisor and check out some hotel reviews in the area.  Have fun planning!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for the replies.  Budget isn't a huge issue, just looking for someplace there a little less crowded.  Time frame would be 29th of August .  We have a 10 year old granddaughter who would probably love the boardwalk, but her parents can take her there.😊

Respected Contributor

We have a small condo in north ocean city because it's relatively quiet on that end...except during the summer. It can get really rowdy with cars drag racing up and down Coastal Hwy.   Hilton Oceanfront (3200 Baltimore Ave) is a very nice spot, and yes, Dunes Manor and Princess Royale on 91st street. Both Dunes Manor and Princess Royale have been there a while so I'm not sure what they look like inside. Be aware during peak season, the boardwalk is very rowdy and crowded so if that's not your thing, stay up North OC.  We are locals and despite what you are told, OC is definitely party headquarters with a bar on every street corner and people get super stupid. There are tons and tons of places to stay and if your looking for a condo, most people rent through a realtor or airbnb.  Have fun and stay safe...

Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention... most local folks eat at Hooked on 80th St...it's pricy but food is fresh and good.  Some other favorites

Longboards on 67th st...bayside

Liquid Assets on 92nd st...bayside

Trattoria Lombardis on 92nd st...best pizza in town...bayside

Mackeys Bayside Bar and Grill...family oriented spot on 53rd. Also bayside

Contributor
Yes, Hooked is one of our favorites and we're not even locals 😉. Enjoy your time in OCMD whatever you decide!
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all for your input and responses.  Your time to respond was appreciated.

Honored Contributor

definitely stay in northern ocean city or even fenwick or bethany beach, delaware. we like the delaware beaches better because they are a bit more quiet......you can get to both the OC boardwalk and the rehoboth boardwalk easily if you stay in northern OC or in the bethany/fenwick area. tons of great restaurants around!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein