Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T favorite vacation place?

I live on the East coast and always thought I'd have to live in somewhat of a close proximity to the ocean...have always loved it!

Then a few years ago, my husband and I traveled to Sedona, Arizona...and I fell in love with the Southwest!   That area is so utterly beautiful...the gorgeous coral colored mountains against the vivid blue sky, the art galleries, the horseback rides in the canyons, a beautiful chapel nestled in the mountainside...I told my husband then and there that I would never miss the ocean if I could stare at those glorious mountains every day!

We've visited again since, and I don't think I'd ever tire of going there.  We also visited the Grand Canyon, which was about 2 hours from there, and I'll never forget that either.

Another awe-inspiring experience was visiting Mount Rushmore.  The sight of it exceeded my expectations one hundred times over. It actually brought tears to my eyes...I'm dumbfounded as to how that was even accomplished.  It made me feel so tiny and almost insignificant standing there and staring at it in all of its magnificent glory...hard to put into words...you have to experience it!!!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

What a fun course that would have been!  Elder Hostel used to offer a course in the history of the San Luis Valley that I always wanted to take.  I don't think they're still in business.

My mother was very knowledgable about the Anasazi.  She was a docent at the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center here.  She could talk Indian history until your eyes glazed over.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Codemom  Sedona is a very special place.  I love it too.  Too bad it couldn't have been a national park.  You could pick out any ordinary plot of land and it looked like a landscape architect had designed the foliage placement, rock arrangement, etc. when it was all mother nature.

Respected Contributor

Domestic:  New York City 

International:  Santorini

Honored Contributor

the delmarva beaches......they ALWAYS help me relax!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm retired, so my life is one long vacation.  

Before I retired, I usually spent my vacation visiting my parents (since passed away.)  

Since I live in NYC ... there is no end of things to do here.  Then, there are the quick trips to visit friends and relatives in various places around the country. 

Super Contributor

Can I have more than one favorite?

1.  African safari.  We started in CapeTown, traveled to Victoria Falls and then stayed in Krueger National Park for the safari.  Unbelievable experience.  I still pinch myself when I think about it.

2.  Paris.  I have been so fortunate to visit Paris many times and it will always be my favorite city in the world.

3.  Italy.  From Venice to Tuscany to Cinque Terre, it's all incredible.  I will never forget the incredible meal my husband and I enjoyed at a tiny restaurant on the Chianti Road in Tuscany.  The oven was in the dining room which looked out onto olive trees.  Doesn't get any better than that.

4.  Austria.  You don't hear much about Austria as a travel destination (at least I didn't before I went there), but it is breathtakingly beautiful.  We traveled through the lakes region which is where much of The Sound of Music was filmed.  In particular, the tiny village of Hallstatt was memorable.

5.  The American Southwest.  I loved Sedona, Santa Fe and Monument Valley.  In fact, I would say seeing the sunset settle over the buttes in Monument Valley is one of my all-time favorite memories.

6.  The Canadian Rockies.  Banff is spectacular and Moraine Lake is incredible.

Honored Contributor

Hands down, without a doubt, Africa - Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe.  Been to So. Africa but only JoBurg, still need to get to Cape Town.  There is nothing that compares to an African sunset out in the bush.

Second would be Ireland - gorgeous, lush, green, just plain beautiful

For the US

Sedona, Santa Fe, Bandalier National Park, - the Southwest has a beauty that is unlike anywhere else.  

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

1.  African safari.  We started in CapeTown, traveled to Victoria Falls and then stayed in Krueger National Park for the safari.  Unbelievable experience.  I still pinch myself when I think about it.

2.  Paris.  I have been so fortunate to visit Paris many times and it will always be my favorite city in the world.

3.  Italy.  From Venice to Tuscany to Cinque Terre, it's all incredible.  I will never forget the incredible meal my husband and I enjoyed at a tiny restaurant on the Chianti Road in Tuscany.  The oven was in the dining room which looked out onto olive trees.  Doesn't get any better than that.

4.  Austria.  You don't hear much about Austria as a travel destination (at least I didn't before I went there), but it is breathtakingly beautiful.  We traveled through the lakes region which is where much of The Sound of Music was filmed.  In particular, the tiny village of Hallstatt was memorable.

5.  The American Southwest.  I loved Sedona, Santa Fe and Monument Valley.  In fact, I would say seeing the sunset settle over the buttes in Monument Valley is one of my all-time favorite memories.

@ZoetheCat  Sounds like you've visited all the best places.  Banff us a favorite of mine but I'm a Lake Louise fan.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@ZoetheCat  Sounds like you've visited all the best places.  Banff us a favorite of mine but I'm a Lake Louise fan.

@Kachina624

Could I be a stow-away in your luggage?  Boy, you really have gotten to some wonderful places! Lucky you!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin