Regular Contributor

O/T favorite vacation place?

We have Disneyland passes and go about every other month.  Love it never gets old. I take my 18 year old daughter and 23 year old son.  So nice to have family time.

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T favorite vacation place?

I don't care for man-made amusements and prefer spending my time with nature in Colorado.  If I can't get there, I can do it here in New Mexico.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I've taken my family to disney properties several times and it's always been one of my favorites.

One of our most memorable vacations was to Washington DC.  We spent a week touring everything in DC, then we went to the battlefields, Gettysburg, Williamsburg, etc.

We've also toured Yellowstone National Park several times.  Absolutely beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't care for man-made amusements and prefer spending my time with nature in Colorado.  If I can't get there, I can do it here in New Mexico.

Me, too! My favorite places in Colorado are Telluride and Estes Park! 

@Kachina624, one of my best memories of NM is of the Inn of the Mountain Gods on the Mescalero Apache reservation.  So beautiful. I also was in Riodoso which was very nice on the river.

Honored Contributor

I've never been to Disney Land; we took the girls to Disney World a few times.  I hated it, it was pure torture but I enjoyed that my girls were having a great time.  I won't go back again until my grands are old enough to go and then I'll fake it with them...lol   I love beach vacations, if I ever hit it big in the lottery I'll buy my dream house in Hawaii.  In my real life, I love Newport RI and London.  I like art galleries and museums and theatre and interesting restaurants....and shopping.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  My parents were natives of Grand Junction and Monte Vista; met while teaching in Monte Vista.  I was born in Del Norte up the road a bit.  Dad was a CC grad.   We always haunted places on the Western Slope.  Our favorite vacation spot was Lake City, an RV park near there.  I love so many of those old mining towns, Ouray, Durango, Silverton, Telluride.  We trampled all over those mountains.

Super Contributor

I have family members that love the Disney resorts in Florida and get a lot of joy out of visiting.

Me? I have a thing about crowds. I took my first cruise a couple of years ago; loved the ease of everything but by the end of the week I was ready to not be around so many people lol...We are going on another one next year (shorter one!).

My favorite places are generally nature based too and not quite as packed. Years ago it was Fernandina Beach in FL; it's developed a lot now though. I still love Maggie Valley, NC and that surrounding area; Folly Beach and Edisto Beach, SC.

I've always wanted to take a leisurely trip through historical sites in Virginia and then work my way up to the NE coast line. Ending with a few days on the coast of Maine. When I'm finally able to retire that will probably be the first thing I do. I'd like to spend 2-3 weeks and just take my time.

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee  My parents were natives of Grand Junction and Monte Vista; met while teaching in Monte Vista.  I was born in Del Norte up the road a bit.  Dad was a CC grad.   We always haunted places on the Western Slope.  Our favorite vacation spot was Lake City, an RV park near there.  I love so many of those old mining towns, Ouray, Durango, Silverton, Telluride.  We trampled all over those mountains.

Yes, I remember you telling me about this @Kachina624. I'm also a CC grad. Ouray has some hot spring pools that are really nice in the winter. I love the narrow gauge railroad trip between Silverton and Durango in the fall. Hard to get tickets though. Just outside of Durango is Mesa Verde National National Park with those cliff dwellings that are ancient awesomeness! I climbed the tallest ladder there and nearly died from fright!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I've been to Mesa Verde but didn't climb any ladders.  Have you ever been to Chaco Canyon?  It's a shame so few people know about it, but it is off the beaten path.  Probably the premier pre-historic site in the US.  We have Bandelier National Park not far from me, sort of ruins for beginners.

Honored Contributor

In college I took a class in Southwestern Indian Culture. We had taken many field trips to NM and Arizona. Chaco Canyon was one of them. I found out what a kiva was for.  While in Arizona I learned about the Hopi Kachina DollsWoman Happy. It was all so fascinating. I miss those days. @Kachina624