Honored Contributor

DH and I want to vacation late this summer, after labor day, I think.

We will drive.  I have never been to either of the Carolinas and we want a beach location.  I looked and there are many beaches to choose from, I have no idea which location would be best.

We want a smaller community and we really don't plan on doing much..maybe some shopping, and a little sight seeing,  but mostly hanging at the beach and of course good meals. 

Can anyone offer advice as to which might be better.  We will get a condo on the beach.  Thanks

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , here is a vote for Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.  We have been three times and plan to return.  The beaches are gorgeous, there are lots of nice property rentals or hotels.  Have fun!  S

Honored Contributor

Hilton Head is sweltering in the summer, we went in October and it was lovely. Same for Myrtle Beach. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I would suggest Oak Island which is just north of Holden's Beach.

At both of these beaches you are out of the crouds from the Myrtle Beach area. 

I went to Oak Island from Holdens beach because the boys had grown and no longer were interested in the commercial Myrtle Beach unless you like to visit stores that have an online presence and inexpensive gift shops.

It's a smaller beach with a nice small motel on the beach and rental houses on the beach and for several rows back.  We love being on the beach and watching the ocean so I get a house on the front.  At Holden's and Oak, you have a more unpopulated beach as well.

At Oak Island, you can go to the old town of Southport and have lunch.  You can also take a ferry there to a little island where there is an arborutum.

Trusted Contributor

Re: North or South Carolina

[ Edited ]

Ocean Isle Beach in South Carolina or Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington, NC. Both are lovely.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs,   I don't have any advice about the beach areas of the Carolinas but during September I can advise you to keep close track of the weather and look for a rental property that will allow a full refund in the event of a threatening hurricane.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp .....that never occured to me.  We were just trying to miss the rush of vacationers, trying to get their time in the sun before school started for the year.

Super Contributor

I don't have any experience with North or South Carolina either, but I know the Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1-November 30. Checking the cancellation policy of any place that you rent would be wise, just in case.

Honored Contributor

Ugh hurricanes...it might just be easier to stay home....

Respected Contributor

We used to go to the Outer Banks the last 2 weeks in May and the first 2 weeks in October. We've stopped going in October because of the high likelihood of hurricanes. This is a shame, because the weather is truly beautiful if there isn't a hurricane. In the last 7 years of our October trips, we were evacuated once and should have been evacuated twice. Both times, they said the hurricane was going to miss us. It didn't.

If you decide to go in the Fall, read your rental contract carefully. The same holds true for trip insurance. This may sound cynical, but they're not in business to pay claims. Pre-COVID, the Fall was a great time to go to the Outer Banks because the kids were back in school, so it was less crowded. Many of the shops were still open and the beach was beautiful. A lot of the schools in our area are talking about returning to in-person learning this Fall, so it shouldn't be as crowded as it was last year.