Honored Contributor

Re: North or South Carolina

[ Edited ]

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

I don't have any experience with North or South Carolina either, but I know the Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1-November 30. Checking the cancellation policy of any place that you rent would be wise, just in case.

@Wiscfan3 

@Marp 

I have never had an issue in June-mid July when I have gone.  At all rentals, you can get "renter's insurance" if you should have to cancel suddenly.  Also, if they can re rent your location for that week, you would get a refund.

We have done this since 1995 and never cancelled.  I would have been out almost $1,000 for every year if I hat not opted out of the insurance.

It's cheaper to lose a year if that's where you go.

Contributor

If you are mainly interested in staying on the beach most of the time, a little light shopping and some lighthouse sightseeing, North Carolina's Outer Banks is the perfect location.  I used to own a condo on the beach in Nags Head and couldn't ask for a better vacation.  South Carolina, especially Myrtle Beach is extremely commercialized.  Check out condos called Heron Cove in Nags Head.  They are beautiful and right on the beach.

Honored Contributor

It's been years, so I imagine a lot has changed, but Hilton Head is a really love place.  I went there a couple times and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I rememeber it as being very family oriented.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

DH and I want to vacation late this summer, after labor day, I think.

We will drive.  I have never been to either of the Carolinas and we want a beach location.  I looked and there are many beaches to choose from, I have no idea which location would be best.

We want a smaller community and we really don't plan on doing much..maybe some shopping, and a little sight seeing,  but mostly hanging at the beach and of course good meals. 

Can anyone offer advice as to which might be better.  We will get a condo on the beach.  Thanks

Outer Banks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! N C  Always found Avon the perfect in between. The whole place is fun, not alot of people. Go get on the ferry one day and go over to Ocracoke. going down stop at Kitty Hawk and see the Wright Brothers hill. It has been 20 years since I've been there, I lost my husband. But that was our summer vacation for 14 years.  

Esteemed Contributor

So many good choices. Happy planning. If you go to Hilton Head Island, SC, which is a lovely resort beach, you're only an hour drive to Tybee Island, GA, which will give you a laid-back beach town experience. Maybe a good day trip. You'll be so close to Savannah, GA, too. We enjoyed Isle of Palms, SC near Charleston for a family beach town. Outer banks, NC are on my travel list. Let us know where you decide to visit.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - you got some really good recommendations. However, I will also remind you our hurricane season starts June and ends November 30. Many of our storms for the past 8 or so years have been in September and October. 

Honored Contributor

@riley1  We are trying to avoid a lot of people with kids on vacation...we don't have kids and were thinking of planning our vacation around families.....we might have to rethink that idea.

We wanted to go to Florida... I have not researched it yet, but heard that car rentals are really hard to find right now.  That situation might ease up as the year moves forward.

If we drive, the Carolinas would be an easier drive than Florida...as our Florida destination was Venice.  A Carolina beach is closer and I have never been to the Carolinas.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

I don't have any experience with North or South Carolina either, but I know the Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1-November 30. Checking the cancellation policy of any place that you rent would be wise, just in case.

@Wiscfan3 

@Marp 

I have never had an issue in June-mid July when I have gone.  At all rentals, you can get "renter's insurance" if you should have to cancel suddenly.  Also, if they can re rent your location for that week, you would get a refund.

We have done this since 1995 and never cancelled.  I would have been out almost $1,000 for every year if I hat not opted out of the insurance.

It's cheaper to lose a year if that's where you go.

@ECBG  @Wiscfan3  @Marp We used to go to the Outer Banks with DH's family for the first 2 weeks in July and never had a problem with hurricanes. This has also been the case when we go in late May. The issue I have with insurance is that there are so many exclusions that it's hard to decide if it's truly worth it, especially if the realtors can remarket your home. Most insurance companies require a formal evacuation order to pay for a vacation cut short by a hurricane. If we had evacuated the 2 years that the meteorologists erroneously said the hurricane wasn't headed our way, the insurance companies wouldn't have paid anything.

We've had recent experience with remarketing our vacation home due to a health issue. The realtors couldn't have been nicer. There was a $100 fee; also, if they had to reduce the rent to attract a new renter, we ate the difference. Remarketing was pretty big last year because so many vacationers who'd planned to go there weren't able to go due to the pandemic. The realtors encouraged those looking for rentals to check the remarket section of their website to help others out. I noticed they're doing the same thing this year, so it must have been successful. Also, I understand they're booked solid through the end of the summer. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Hilton Head is sweltering in the summer, we went in October and it was lovely. Same for Myrtle Beach. 

@Shelbelle , depends what your tolerance is... she is going in September.

82 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit

In most years, Hilton Head Island averages a daily maximum temperature for September that's between 82 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit (28 to 30 degrees Celsius). The minimum temperature usually falls between 67 and 71 °F (20 to 22 °C).
Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Seriously, I would not consider Hilton Head, SC. It is infested with copper heads. They are having a terrible time with those snakes.

Being a native of NC, Wrightsville Beach or Kure Beach are very lovely and there's plenty of yummy delicious seafood.