Honored Contributor

Re: Non-US Airlines: experiences

I've flown Aerolineas Argentinas within Argentina, between Buenos Aires and Rosario.  It's a small plane (twin prop as I recall) and a fairly short flight.  That was twenty years or so ago, so it may be different now.  I had no complaints at the time.

Honored Contributor

@Wobin

It's possible.  Tahiti is known for their coconut & pinapple wine.   I always request the coconut.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler,

I Love Korean and Thai airlines from JFK they mostly use Airbus 380 which is super comfortable 🌻

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Wobin

I fly 1st class for flights over 3 hrs.  On Air France 1st class gets the 16oz bottle of wine.  Everyone else gets the 4oz bottles of wine. 

However, if the plane files over the equator, everyone gets a glass of champagne.  When the plane "jumps" over the equator, everyone raises their glass towards the cockpit & shouts saluer (sp) (salute in French).

I remember when small bottles of wine were part of the dinner in coach, when flying overseas.  After dinner, the attendants came with small bottles of Bailey's. This was on Alitalia and Lufthansa.

Valued Contributor

I love Air India.  Wonderful experience, our airlines could learn a lot from them.  

Valued Contributor

Do not fly Hahn Air in Germany.  Freightening experience.  You are literally cattle, no assigned seats and people run for the plane in a herd - pushing and shoving to get on board.  Seats so small and cramped.  Some people flew standing from Germany to Ireland - not enough seats.  Standing would be more comfortable.  Pay to use the toilet onboard.  Purely barbaric airline.  At least 15 people standing.  What an experience.  .  

Esteemed Contributor

I just came back from a vacation in Australia and flew Air New Zealand and the airline is quite nice. The long haul flight - 13 hours - from Vancouver B.C., Canada to Sydney, Australia was quite tiring as the seats are close together and there's no leg room. They do have a screen on the back of the seat back in front of you to watch free movies and there's a USB port to charge your phone (the USB won't work to charge an ipad though). I wish I had upgraded my seat to one of the ones you could sleep in but they were $700 more per person. I could not sleep on the flight at all and developed a sore back, knees and cramps in my legs. Sitting in the middle seats in a middle row was such a mistake, next time it would be an aisle seat for sure so I can easily stand up and walk around.

I also flew Qantas cross country from Sydney to Perth and from Perth to Melbourne. On the flight from Sydney to Perth we had free wifi. We had more leg room and the seats were wider and more comfortable.

Both airlines served curry meals as one of the two choices for their lunch/dinner menus. Why I don't know as I think curry is not a good choice if you don't like spicy foods or you are prone to a gassy tummy when you fly.

The planes were fine and so were the staff on both airlines, I have no complaints.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got back from a trip using Etihad airlines, which is the main airline out of Abu Dhabi. On the flight going from Chicago to Abu Dhabi, as well as the return flight for this nearly 14 hour trip, they utilized the zones printed on your ticket which made embarking the plane more orderly (in fact, they even ordered people to sit down if they weren’t in the zone currently called!)

Prior to each flight, a prayer from the Qoran was said in Arabic on the entertainment system.

The jet for the long flight was the basic 3-4-3 seat configuration in economy. I know they have newer jets with larger seats; honestly, these were no better or worse than other economy seats. 

I also took a 4 hour flight on a smaller plane and the seating was 3-3.  For the smaller plane, we were bussed to the jet and needed to climb stairs to get on board.

E8C846DB-9041-4CA4-A8C7-2CA543E19023.jpeg

Movie entertainment was good; television selections not so much.  And, I thought they turned the entertainment system off too early.

For each leg of my trip, the meals differed.  For the most part, the meals were curry based, although the meal returning to the US was more Americanized.  Honestly, I thought the food was pretty good - even the fish I had!  And, yes, there was a hot meal served on the 4 hour flight.  

This was a veggie option, which tasted much better than it looked.

3742793C-29D8-4EDA-B495-C4D7447162EF.jpeg

I think enough food was served, but I don’t believe they handed out anything extra - like no mid flight ice cream.  And I saw many people getting their own water.

Lights were turned on midway through the long flight and another meal served.  The lights were a little jarring after the darkness. They did eventually turn them back off.

Strangely, on two of the flights they ran out of toilet paper and we needed to use the tissues.

Finally, you go through US Customs in Abu Dhabi.  This meant that we didn’t have to do again when we landed and could immediately pick up our belongings.

To the extent that the airline has a good price and decent connection times, I wouldn’t hesitate to take again.

Frequent Contributor

My favorite airline is JAL (Japan Airlines)

Their flight attendands are top notch and very polite & kind.

Bathrooms were always clean and they set up little "snack bar" in galley for long flight Woman Happy

They have alot of selections of movies, audio books, music too.

Also they have toothbrush & toothpaste set like hotel amenity is available in bathroom.

Respected Contributor

I flew  on a small K L M for a short hour connecting flight . I was not prepared for the steep steps on and off dragging both my carry ons. Glad the overhead one in addition to  wbeels had a shoulder strap. After an 8 hour flight at age 65, tiring.