Honored Contributor

Re: Non-US Airlines: experiences

Forgot....I have also flown Emirates. It was very nice for someone sitting in coach section! It is owned by a Sikh, so perhaps that explains why it was so very nice inside for even the lowest-costng seats. 

Have also flown on a South American airline, but don't recall the name of it. Went down to Argentina and Chile on it. It was so-so.

Super Contributor

This past summer I traveled to Africa to  visit my daughter. I traveled on both Ethiopian Airlines and Turkish airlines.  I was hesitant about Ethiopian,  because it is such a depressed country.  But both trips were professional and comfortable. 

BTW, years ago we boarded planes by walking the tarmac and climbing the stairs.  Many  locations still do that, includind Paris and the Carribean.

Super Contributor

Lufthansa used to be good.  Changed my mind on a nightmare trip back from Frankfurt Germany where free booze was served. The flight attendant walked around with a bottle of Cognac and refilled as much as desired.   Had to fight off some drunk idiots  next to me.  I like to sleep during long filghts. No sleeping on this one.  Seemed half the plane was constantly walking around, hanging out by the galley.  All in all I swore I would never fly Lufthansa again.  How insane to serve limitless booze on a long flight.  Not to mention lack of safety with all these people walking around. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have traveled with several international airlines...Air France, Air Canada, Aer Lingus, SAS, British Air, KLM, plus one or two in the Caribbean and Bahamas many years ago. Except for a near crash into a mountain in St. Thomas a long time ago, all trips were comparable to flying on US airlines. In general, flying on any and all airlines was far better years ago. My husband and I used to travel internationally years ago. Now we have cut WAY back. The hassles have made flights on any airlines a real trial.

Esteemed Contributor

@StylishLady, I am Canadian as you may know.  I travelled for 30 years for  my work.  If there was a way to get anywhere without going through Toronto, I would find it.  That is the worst airport I have ever been in (and I have been in lots) and it never gets better.  I totally get what you are saying. LM

Honored Contributor

@World Travelerwrote:

@granddi I used British Air last summer and thought it was better than American Airlines, United Airlines, etc. First time with them and I would enjoy using their airlines again. 

I agree and experienced the same.

We plan on flying Aer Lingus when we travel to Ireland later this year.

Respected Contributor

I've had decent experiences with Luthansa, British Airways, Air France and KLM, but it's been awhile. When I was working, corporate policy was that we had to fly US flag carriers where available, and then those that I just mentioned were next if need be. Since Delta/Northwest went just about everywhere I was going for both domestic and international trips, that's what I flew and I'm still pretty loyal to Delta since that's where all of my miles are. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Regular Contributor

I'll start by saying we are economy travelers so don't have high expectations.

We recently flew Air Tahiti Nui from LA to Tahiti and then onto NZ.  We were very happy with the service.  The food was decent.  I would fly them again if the price was right.  

Trusted Contributor

We flew on British Air last summer, and it was a very good flight.  Attentive service, good food, and lots of tv shows and movie choices to watch.  We did have to take a bus from our gate at the Heathrow terminal out to the plane, and climb up stairs to the plane.  This summer, we are taking Alitalia to Italy.  We got a much better price through them than Delta, plus our first bag was free and we were seated together in advance.  I am excited that we are seated in two seats in a row in Coach, rather than squeezing into three seats in a row.  And, the meal on the plane is pasta!  (As if we won't be eating enough pasta when we get to Italy!)

Respected Contributor

We had a choice to fly United or Lufthansa when we went to Italy a little over a year ago.  We chose Lufthansa, and they were FABULOUS.  I would fly them again in a heartbeat. Very efficient, professional, courtious, nice and it was just a wonderful experience overall.  AND....  they landed early both times, coming and going...  what a concept!!!