Respected Contributor

Re: New Yorkers I need help!

Just a note of recommendation/endorsement for Christmas Spectacular.  We saw this in November 2018, and LOVED it.  We were practically in the last row, in the highest balcony, but could see everything perfectly.  In fact, the videos/decorations kinda extend off of the stage on to the walls of the theater, so we got the full effect.  From the moment you enter the theater, you are in a good mood -- the decorations are wonderful.  We bought a Christmas ornament as a souvener.   

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

There are NO bad seats at the Music Hall!  Even the nosebleed seats are good.  $250.00 is outrageous!  From someone who was born and raised in NY, go to the evening show, either 5:00 or 7:00.  You can have a late lunch but it gets dark around 4:30 in December and the city is beautiful and a wonderland at night.  It is entirely different than during the day.  It's magical at night, a fairy land, well, worth experiencing.  Even the skating rink in Rockefeller Center is prettier in the evening as well as the tree!  Fifth Avenue with all the lights and Park Avenue as well.  Most restaurants in the city are open late.

Esteemed Contributor

I lived and worked in NYC most of my life and only remember one cancellation For a strike. Any show you prefer is wonderful and depends on what time you prefer to eat. If you have time, I think The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center is phenomenal and magical.
Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

NYC is a wonderland during the Christmas season. I would buy the less expensive tickets for the 5pm show and have dinner afterwards. The theatre is very rarely cancelled except during the most extreme storms that cannot be predicted. The entire area is well lit and crowded until very late in the evening, a couple of hours after the Bdway shows are let out. Enjoy and have fun. Anything you choose will be the right choice.

Agree...dont over pay for this show. Cheaper balcony seat are ok.

My husband kept saying how many ways can they have those gals kick up their legs!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would suggest avoiding a matinee because there will be a lot of hyped-up children, and the crowds will be more difficult to navigate.

Radio City is wonderful - one of my favorite venues.  But I wouldn't go higher than the first mezzanine, and I would only want to sit in the front (not rear).  Wherever you want to be, I think you can do better price-wise.  Do a search for discount codes.  You also could check Groupon, etc.  Sometimes the discounts are pretty substantial, so it's worthwhile to do some googling to see what you come up with.  Go during the week if you can.  Not only might it be less expensive, but you'll have a better choice of seats.

Don't worry about the weather.  It rarely snows a lot in December, and snow in the city doesn't pile up the way it does elsewhere.  In all my years living and working in NYC (and going to the theater often), I only had one show cancelled because of weather.  And it was in February, not December.  Of course weather is weather, and anything can happen any time, but I wouldn't worry too much about that.  (It also has nothing to do with time of day, so don't choose a show time based on what the weather might or might not do.)

Ask if you have any other questions!  I think there are a few of us here who can be helpful to you.  :-)