Frequent Contributor

Hi ..my husband and I are going to NYC in Dec for four days.  I need help with the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes Christmas show.  I went online and can purchase tickets now but I am wondering what would be the best time of day?  I am not sure because of weather if we should go to an afternoon show or their are a few at 5pm and also 8pm.

The tickets I am looking at are $250.00 each in the first

mezzine (sp) and just three rows back they are $170.00.  I know this will be a one time show for us because NYC during the holidays has always been on my bucket list and well I'm getting older!  LOL  Anyway thank you for any help you can give me because I'm also worried about buying the tickets and then a huge snow storm comes through and it gets cancelled.  Of course none of us can predict the weather. 

Honored Contributor

Re: New Yorkers I need help!

theatre rarely gets cancelled,  if you are in the city you should be OK

what do you all think 

Honored Contributor

I am a native Ny'er and I have only seen the Christmas Show once and that was a few years ago, if I recall we got discount tickets through Groupon, we went the night before Thanksgiving and it was great.

We took Metro North into the city, then a cab up to the Westside near the Museum of Natural History to see the balloons being blown up for the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Had dinner on 72nd street and then took the bus down to the theater.

The only time shows are canceled is is there is an extreme blizzard which does not happen often in NYC

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

NYC at Christmas is very very crowded, busy but also exciting and so much to see and do.  I would suggest a matinee performance because you will then have plenty of time to have a dinner or shopping or whatever you choose to do afterwards.    The restaurants are very busy and if you are trying to make an evening performance you will be watching your watch and not enjoying your dinner.  Also, I would buy the $170 tickets, viewing is great in most of the theater.  That $160 savings could be used elsewhere.  JMO of course but enjoy your trip.

Honored Contributor

Personally, having seen the show more than once (it is great especially the Rockettes) I would get the cheapest seats available.  I sat in the balcony and had a great view of all the Rockettes' routines especially the "wooden soldiers."  Wouldn't spend a lot for a 90 minutes or less show.

Respected Contributor

NYC is a wonderland during the Christmas season. I would buy the less expensive tickets for the 5pm show and have dinner afterwards. The theatre is very rarely cancelled except during the most extreme storms that cannot be predicted. The entire area is well lit and crowded until very late in the evening, a couple of hours after the Bdway shows are let out. Enjoy and have fun. Anything you choose will be the right choice.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

also consider taking the tour of Radio City NBC . there is one devoted to the history of the buildings if that's your thing.

Trusted Contributor

Rockefeller Center is the best place to be during the Christmas holiday. Nothing like it. Depending on your plans, whether you like to eat late or early, would determine which showing to attend. I went a couple years ago to the 7:00 p.m. show and then went to a very late dinner at 9:30 across the street at the Rock Center Cafe. Have also gone to the Sea Grill. I am a native New Yorker and these are definitely tourist traps, but would still recommend doing the whole nine yards while there. The matinee is fine also. Be prepared to wait in line outside no matter what showtime you choose. Do not worry about the weather - the show must go on. I always bought orchestra seats right in the middle so my only suggestion is to not be too close to the stage, but you want to see everything clearly and be able to feel like you're in the fantasy when they do the 3D portion. Nothing beats the Rockettes. Enjoy your trip - I know you will. You must also see St. Patrick's no matter your beliefs - it's amazing.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't worry about the weather. It's rare that NYC shuts down. I've been to the show a handful of times.  There really is no bad time.  Matinee will likely have more children.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @DianeFL, I have seen the show a few times, definitely a must see!  The rockettes are unbelieable!  I think I would enjoy more during the day to make sure not overly tired from whatever else you may be doing before.  It will be a zoo getting in and out so easier earlier to have alternative means of transportation when you get out, including walking to a less crowded place, which is what I ususally do.  Patience is essential.

Don't be so concerned about the weather, we don't typically get too much snow in December, and if we do, in NYC they are really good clearing it up in main araes.

It is usually easy for us NYers to get discounted tix for the show, but since you are only here 4 days I understand why you don't want to chance it and are buying tix ahead of time.  $250 each sounds way too high for mezzanine tickets, check prices on ticketmaster and don't pay more than their price, you may do better through your hotel, etc.  I saw tons of mezzanine tix avail for 5pm shows al lower prices, but of course I don't know your dates.  Go on a weekday if you can.  For $250, I would you think you would get premium orchestra seats.  I have sat in different places at different times, and my favorite was when I sat orchestra middle, about 6 rows from the stage, so I think it is better to be closer unless you don't like looking up.  It wasn't uncomfortable, my mom just loved it.  I paid $90 for those tix, but I think it was maybe 10 years ago.  I would pick orchestra seats over mezzanine for sure.

Enjoy!