New York during Christmas season

Hi...My husband and I would like to plan a trip next year to

New York during the holidays.  Just looking for suggestions on

how far ahead to book hotels and does anyone have any

reccomendations on where to stay?  We want to go to Rockefeller

Center to see the tree..first stop for me Smiley Happy  and to Radio City to

the Christmas show.  I'm sure we will also check out the windows

but we are getting up there in age and even though we can still

walk lol we can't go for miles....thanks for any help .

Honored Contributor

Re: New York during Christmas season

I live in suburban NYC so I have no advice as to where to stay, you can do the tree and the Christmas show on the same day they are about 3 blocks apart, you can also do the Saks windows on that day. Saks is across the street from the tree.

Weekdays are better, weekends are a madhouse. I have actually gone to see the tree on Christmas day and it was not crazy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

This year we are spending the weekend before Christmas in NYC.  Staying at a hotel in the financial area, the Hampton Inn.  We made our flight and hotel reservations in September, I think.  Keep checking prices for both as they change.  As for Radio City I wanted to see the show but hesitated purchasing my tickets last month.  Now they are $20 more.  

It will be very crowded but to me Christmas in the city is the best.  I lived in NYC most of my life and never get tired of the holiday season there.

Respected Contributor

We leave tomorrow for a weekend in NYC. 

We are staying at an airb&b, for like 1/3 of what a hotel will cost.  We have a studio apt some blocks away from Central Park.  

I don't know when the tickets go on sale, but I got our tickets for Rockettes about a month ago.  The Christmas Spectacular starts early November.  I booked on line, and printed the tickets at home.

We are also going to do Grenwich Village, the Trade Center site, and the museum of natural history.  And of course, eat!

I have heard great things about the boat tour around the island, but don't have enough time this trip.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Personally I would skip the boat trip.

It's not fun at all if the weather is uncooperative.

If the weather is decent, you will enjoy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did this a couple of years ago right before Christmas and it wasn't really planned in advance.  I wouldn't stress about not getting a hotel unless you are going over New Years.

I will warn you Rockefeller Center is extremely crowded and you will definitely have company to keep you warm outside.

I also did the Radio City show and loved it.  Get your tickets at the TKTS booth in Time Square so you don't pay full price.  They always have tickets available for something like that.    

I loved the windows. I walk a lot in NYC and walked myself from the Upper East Side down to Macys to see it all.  I think L&T is gone now?  So you may be a store down but it's cool to see.

Have fun!!

ETA: My favorite hotel in NYC to stay at is the Paramount which is just off Times Square and right by the Port Authority which is where I catch the shuttle to and from the airport.  They are usually pretty reasonable too. 

I have stayed other places and as long as you stick to a 3 star and above hotel, you should be fine.  Just be aware if you have never been, hotel rooms in NYC are teeny tiny even for a petite thing like me.  You may want to upgrade if you or someone in your party likes space.      

Honored Contributor

they start advertising the christmas show in October so getting tickets shouldn't be a problem,

just don't stay around Times Sq.  

walking??? the things you want to see are an easy walk, and anything in NYC is a taxi or bus/subway ride away if you don't to walk,  

although a beautiful day walking in the city is a something to enjoy 

don't forget the Highline, and Eataly

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Lord and Taylor which was a few blocks south of the tree closed, Saks is still open

@Laura14 wrote:

I did this a couple of years ago right before Christmas and it wasn't really planned in advance.  I wouldn't stress about not getting a hotel unless you are going over New Years.

I will warn you Rockefeller Center is extremely crowded and you will definitely have company to keep you warm outside.

I also did the Radio City show and loved it.  Get your tickets at the TKTS booth in Time Square so you don't pay full price.  They always have tickets available for something like that.    

I loved the windows. I walk a lot in NYC and walked myself from the Upper East Side down to Macys to see it all.  I think L&T is gone now?  So you may be a store down but it's cool to see.

Have fun!!

ETA: My favorite hotel in NYC to stay at is the Paramount which is just off Times Square and right by the Port Authority which is where I catch the shuttle to and from the airport.  They are usually pretty reasonable too. 

I have stayed other places and as long as you stick to a 3 star and above hotel, you should be fine.  Just be aware if you have never been, hotel rooms in NYC are teeny tiny even for a petite thing like me.  You may want to upgrade if you or someone in your party likes space.      

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

All the above advice is excellent. I just want to say again do NOT stay in the Times Square area. Too many people. Try to see a broadway show, if you have the time. See the tree after dark, all lit up at night adds a whole new dimension.

Honored Contributor

I feel the opposite about staying near Times Square.

It's only for the weekend, you want to be close to the action

I prefer to stay very close to Times Square.