Super Contributor

Re: New York during Christmas season

A friend and I are going December 10. I am so excited! We have tickets to Radio City. I googled what to see in NYC at Christmas and there is loads of stuff to do! We always stay at the Hampton Inn on 8th Ave and 51st (I think that is the cross street). Very close to subway, a couple of blocks to Times Square. 

We tried an Air BnB and had a very bad experience. I have used them before, but just did not work for us in NYC. 

Cant wait!

Honored Contributor

Check out the deals for NYC on Travelzoo.com.

The Radio City tickets are always discounted and there are great deals on hotels and shows.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for your advice.  We were in New York for our

25th wedding anniversary and stayed at the Radison on

Lexington Ave.  I rememer it was fairly close to Rockefeller

Center because we found it just walking around.  We did walk

from our hotel to Times Square at least two or three times but

we just celebrated our 40th in October so we have slowed down

a bit..lol  Of course we can always catch a cab if need be. 

Thanks again for giving me some good leads as to where to

stay and what websites to check out..Diane  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I stay in Brooklyn very nice area and cheaper than the city. you can take the train which is a quick 15 min ride from the jay street station. I stay at the Sheridan hotel next to bridge street. 

Super Contributor

My heart fell in love with NYC about 12 years ago!  Since then, lucky enough to have been back many times.  We have been twice during Christmas---we leave the day after and return on the 30th to avoid the NYE crowds and higher prices.  I always stay and reccommend Radio City Apartments---not sure why called apts??? --- regular hotel.  You go out the front door and turn right---Rock City 2 blocks away---turn left, there is Times Sq. a few blocks away.  Perfect location, price, and clean!  There is so much enchantment during this time---all the window displays, trees and decorations everywhere, ice skating, popup shops----hmmmm, making me want to go this year! LOL  Have fun----don't plan too much---just go with the flow!  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister and I went between x-mas and new years in 2016.  It was so crowded it was nuts.  We stayed at a hotel in Times Square.  It was rather cool to see them setting everything up for NYE.

My sister had a very hard time booking a hotel for us and her best friend worked for a hotel in NYC!  I would definitely book early.  I don't really know how soon my sister tried to book for us as it was a surprise x-mas gift for me.  I had no idea we were going until x-mas eve and we left 2 days after x-mas.    

Respected Contributor

I go to NYC a lot, DS lives and works there and you've gotten some good advice but the best advice that you got was do not go over the weekend at Xmas time, if you can help it.  The crowds during the regular season are quite heavy in the Times Square area but during Xmas, you can barely move or see the windows on the weekend.  If you want to see the Rockettes Xmas show, get your tickets early if you want good seats, I got mine in July the year we went and were in the 6th row.  That theatre holds 5,000 people and if you're up in "peanut heaven" you won't have a good view.  I know the tickets are expensive but I knew I was most likely only going to see them once, so I got the good seats.  That was back in 2002 and before my DS ended up living and working there and I go up quite a bit now.  There is so much to do while in NYC and Xmas is magical! There's a restaurant we enjoy called Becco's on restaurant row, you need reservations, it's always packed.  It's Italian and they have an "all you can eat pasta" and they just keep walking around with the big hot skillets and you can eat as mucyh as you want.  It's crowded, it's noisy but it's sooo NYC!  Enjoy!  I don't know how long you're staying but seeing a Broadway show is always fun and you can get 1/2 priced tickets in Times Square for "day of" show.  You have to wait in line and if your pressed for time but you can get good seats.  I got tickets to Kinky Boots there and had center orchestra seats, about the 7th row.  It's hit or miss but if you have the time to wait in line and don't want to pay regular price it's a good deal!  Enjoy!  I love NYC!!!!!!!