Trusted Contributor

Re: New York City recommendations

Hi All!  I hope it okay to ask a question here, rather than starting a new NYC thread.  Regarding the 9/11 Museum, I see that free tickets are offered on Tuesdays beginning at 5:00 p.m.  Does anyone happen to know how likely these tickets are to run out if I am there right at 5:00 p.m.?  

I am visiting in a couple weeks and would hate to go to the time and expense to get to the museum to be turned away...TIA!  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

Hi All!  I hope it okay to ask a question here, rather than starting a new NYC thread.  Regarding the 9/11 Museum, I see that free tickets are offered on Tuesdays beginning at 5:00 p.m.  Does anyone happen to know how likely these tickets are to run out if I am there right at 5:00 p.m.?  

I am visiting in a couple weeks and would hate to go to the time and expense to get to the museum to be turned away...TIA!  

@BExplorer Ticket distribution starts at 4. Downtown is very, very, crowded at that time of day as people start getting off from work. It's hard to say how long tickets would last. If you can't get tickets, there is still plenty to do. Take a ferry to the Statue of Liberty or to Ellis Island. It is more than worth whatever time you expend and the cost of a subway ride to get there.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer Ticket distribution starts at 4. Downtown is very, very, crowded at that time of day as people start getting off from work. It's hard to say how long tickets would last. If you can't get tickets, there is still plenty to do. Take a ferry to the Statue of Liberty or to Ellis Island. It is more than worth whatever time you expend and the cost of a subway ride to get there.

Thanks so much for the response @reiki604!  I think we will just purchase tickets to be sure to get in.  Have a great day!  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I don't know if anyone mentioned RUSH tickets to Broadway shows. They are sold at the box office or there may be a digital lottery. I prefer to wait in line since you have to put in the work and not everyone is willing to stand on line whereas it is too easy to enter into a lottery and my chances are perhaps less. 

You can see a list of what is on RUSH at playbill dot com. Some show are very popular and you must be on line way earlier before the box office opens at 10am and noon on Sundays.

I saw Josh Groban in Great Comet of 1812 and sat in the orchestra for $39.00. Of course TKTS is another way to go. But if you want to see the really hot shows - gotta pay the piper.

Respected Contributor

Any favorite hotels in midtown. Years ago we stayed at Shoram sp? between 50th and 55th. Good location and price. Just looking for location and clean and a chain is ok. 

Respected Contributor

A friend and I just did the whole tourist thing beause she is leaving NY for good. We paid out the nose to see the Divine Miss M in Hello Dolly! It was worth every cent. She and the show were breathtaking. A true classic Broadway extravaganza. We also had a pre theatre dinner at Sardi's. A wonderful time was had by all.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

If you have daughters, the American Girl doll store is fun. I second the recommendation for Chinese at Joe's Shanghai. The New York Public Library is beautiful and a cool place to duck into on a hot day if you are in the area. The museums are awesome! Have fun and stay hydrated.