Honored Contributor

Re: New York City recommendations

You will get so many great ideas, there's no shortage of things to do.  If you want to walk, go to Wave Hill, a public garden in the Bronx, or The High Line, a public park built into the bed of an old elevated train line on Manhattan's West Side.  For art, I've been wanting to go to The Cloisters, part of the Metropolitan Museum showcasing medieval art; it's in northern Manhattan.  Don't know if it's good for kids though, depends on them I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

We started our last trip to NYC by taking the hop on hop off bus to get the pay it the land.  Also took Circle Line to Ellis Island Museum (very good museum) but didn't go up Statue of Liberty or Empire Bldg (!omg lines and you never know about visibility.  Enjoyed United Nations and NBC tour and are locally.  We loved Carnegie Deli (now closed but still go to one in Vega s) but if you can find another downtown deli,try it!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're going to be in the Broadway district for the show, I highly recommend a meal at Juniors on 45th St. It's known for cheesecake, as everyone knows- but the food is really good for comfort eats. And very sizeable portions too! I also really like BBQ on 42nd near  8th Ave (across from Madame Tussauds). It has very affordable early bird specials during the week! 

At the age of your kids, mine loved the Museum of Natural History- the dinosaur floor with the T Rex was a highlight! It was a whole day trip - between the museum and the planetarium. 

Respected Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:

@smileshannon wrote:

My family and I will be going to New York city soon for a mini vacation.  I have 3 children (13, 11, 7). Going to see Anastasia on broadway.  Any other suggestions?  Any good recommendations for a family to eat?  We have never been to New York city so this will be all new to us.

Thank you!

Hi! I grew up in NYC and I would take them to the 9/11 site. This would be a great way to reflect how things have changed from that day forward. 

Another great way to spend the day(s) would be to go to the Museum of Natural History and the Hayden planetarium. Those were always my favorite places to go. You can spend a whole day in each of those places. 

Also the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan to see the the Statue of Liberty  and Ellis Island would be great. Enjoy your trip!!! Keep us posted..

The reason I did not offered 9/11 memorial I learned that not all non New Yorkers, New Jersians and others who were directly involved might not want to go there. So , since everybody knows what happened I leave up to them  : to visit or do not. You be surprized how many people do not care.

Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone!  I appreciate all of the information.  I am going to make a list!

New Contributor

Make sure to have Pizza :-)  Go to a bakery and a Jewish deli.

Honored Contributor

I was in NYC right after Christmas.  I am from Ohio and I personally would recommend the 9/11 memorial.  I didn't know anyone affected directly by this but IMO this is a must see.  It was something I wanted to do and I thought we'd go, we'd look, we'd move on to something else.

This memorial was so emotional, I cannot even explain.  I would not leave without seeing it.  JMO 

Honored Contributor

@bethg wrote:

Make sure to have Pizza :-)  Go to a bakery and a Jewish deli.

@bethg

Definitely a Jewish Deli ... 2nd Ave. Deli up on 75th St. and First Ave.  (there's another location midtown - but I haven't been to that one)

Have a pastrami on rye!   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A lot of great suggestions already made, so I won't repeat.

My preference is NY Waterway over the CircleLine, which is much more crowded.  I took my husband (who is from Chicago) about 3 years ago, and it was wondeful. 

You may want to try John's Pizza if you are in Times Square.  Their original restaurant is in the Village and used to have long lines to get in.  They remodled an old church in TS and they say it's gorgeous...   very big.  I've only been to the one on Bleeker in the Village.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is supposed to be incredible. As a native NYer I've never done it.  Now that I'm living in CHicago and going to see my sister in Oct, we're all going to do it.  There is a lot at the other end in Brooklyn, close to where you get off the bridge (it's called DUMBO).

Central Park is a must....   there are so many sections.  Look at a map online.

Rockefeller Center and St. Patrick's Cathedral across the street

If you like sports ...  GO YANKEES, GO RANGERS, GO GIANTS ...  !!!

Have a pretzel from one of the street carts....  yummmmm

NEVER ANY CHAIN RESTAURANTS

Joe's Shanghai - yummy Chinese food - I've only been to the one on 56th St.

There are a lot of neighborhoods and so much to see ...  WALK WALK WALK (but walk fast!!!!!!).

Have fun....

Valued Contributor

@SANNA  Browsing through all the suggestions as we will be returning to NYC in October.  Just had to say how disturbing to read your statement on the views of some regarding the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.  How could someone not care what happened that day to our country?  Prior to the museum opening in NYC, a sample of the momentos toured the country and I attended in my city several years ago.  It was presented in a darkened enviroment with spotlights on each exhibit.  All were silent while reading their way through the exhibit.  Touching and impactful  We must not forget.