Valued Contributor

New York City recommendations

[ Edited ]

My family and I will be going to New York city soon for a mini vacation.  I have 3 children (13, 11, 7). Going to see Anastasia on broadway.  Any other suggestions?  Any good recommendations for a family to eat?  We have never been to New York city so this will be all new to us.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: New York City recommendations

@smileshannon Hi! If you don't get enough suggestions for you to consider on this forum, you might try the Travel Forum. Others have had good luck in responses from the posters over there on various city ideas. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

My only advice is DO NOT EAT AT ANY CHAIN RESTAURANTS. Ask the people who work at your hotel to make suggestions. Every ethnic group is represented in NYC, so if you have a particular country in mind, you'll find it there. Even if your kids just want cheeseburgers and fries, there will be a great place in Manhattan. You can check Trip Advisor for information and advice but wherever you go make your dining experience a unique New York dining experience,

Respected Contributor

circle line boat tour.   

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

@smileshannon wrote:

My family and I will be going to New York city soon for a mini vacation.  I have 3 children (13, 11, 7). Going to see Anastasia on broadway.  Any other suggestions?  Any good recommendations for a family to eat?  We have never been to New York city so this will be all new to us.

Thank you!

It all depends on where you'll be staying and for how long. A fun day trip might be to take the subway to Coney Island. Go to the beach or go on the rides. Take in a Brooklyn Cyclones game (AAA baseball I think). Go to the original Nathan's while you're there. Have fun!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Agree..do not eat in a chain restaurant. Buy a Zagat's NYC 2017. Price of food is all over the place and this will give you an idea of the cost. If you like Italian go to Eataly. It's something to see, even if you only get a slice of pizza. Do not eat in the theater district, prices are high and food is fair, at best. Have a fantastic time!

Valued Contributor

@smileshannon Here are some suggestions. 

circle line boat tour

Serendipity for their frozen hot chocolate

Times Square at night - all the marquees lite up is amazing (but don't get pics taken with characters, they are a rip off) if you go don't forget to look up and see the famous New Years Eve Ball

Carmines if you like Italian. It's in Times Square but it's not cheap

Museum of Natural History

9-11 Memorial and Museum and ground zero memorial (you might need tickets)

Take a walk on the Highline

Empire State Building 

Top of the Rock Observation Deck (especially at sunset) 

If you like any of these, look them up online for more info. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Valued Contributor

Enjoy Anastasia!  We saw it twice.   First when it premiered at Hartford Stage and then again on Broadway.  It is a beautifully staged show.

I agree with SandPiper's suggesitons.  Carmines would definitely be a good choice in the theater district.  Everything is served family style and the portions are HUGE.  I don't think it would be expensive since there are 4 of you -- and as long as everyone can agree on chocies you wouldn't have to order a lot of dishes.  We were 3 the last time we were there and left at least half.  And we are all eaters!

Have fun!!

Respected Contributor

@smileshannon wrote:

Thank you!

I have a very good choice for you, especially since you are with 3 young kids!

There is a very popular diner named Jekyll and Hyde Club. It is wonderfully decorated in the fun and spooky way. Both you and your kids will have a blast! The food is the usual American fare, great for everybody. I am local , used to bring there my daughter when she was young, I bring there my all ages out of town guests. Everybody love it. It's busy, noisy but fun!!! And it is in Manhattan. Google the location,times and menu. 

Enjoy!!!

As a learning experience go to the Museum of Natural History ( right next to Central Park), you can spend some time at the park before or after, have a boat ride on the lake.

Ellis island museum is stunning, so wonderfully heartwarming and educational, and not big. Lady Liberty also impressive.

Navy ship - museum "Intrepid" on the Upper West Side ,on Hudson is cool too.

Have fun!

Super Contributor

@smileshannon wrote:

Thank you!

Hi! I grew up in NYC and I would take them to the 9/11 site. This would be a great way to reflect how things have changed from that day forward. 

Another great way to spend the day(s) would be to go to the Museum of Natural History and the Hayden planetarium. Those were always my favorite places to go. You can spend a whole day in each of those places. 

Also the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan to see the the Statue of Liberty  and Ellis Island would be great. Enjoy your trip!!! Keep us posted..