Trusted Contributor

Need suggestions...what to see in Chicago July 14-16?

[ Edited ]

Will be there 3 full days to see the pre-Broadway The Cher Show.  If it wasn't going to be hot, I'd  see the zoo, but...to be near 90.

Know I'll like the Field Museum and the tall buildings with glass observation areas, but what else do you recommend?

I am 68 and need a walker, by the way!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions...what to see in Chicago July 14-16?

[ Edited ]

Chicago is known for a great pizza!!! Check out the restaurants and go!! Posters from Chicago here, can probably help.

Their museums are probably air conditioned.  They probably have a way for you to get around inside better too.  Check it out.  

Respected Contributor

The Shedd Aquarium is well worth the trip and you can explore more visiting the web page.   Wheelchairs and rollator walkers are available on a first come first serve basis.

I would suggest a wheelchair even though you are able to walk, the place is huge and right now they have a special underwater exihibit.

I also attended a mystery dinner play which was really fun.

Might want to check out the Dinner Detective in Downtown Chicago at the Hilton Garden Inn.   Those type of interactive plays are fun, you are solving a murder mystery amongst the audience.  Something different instead of just shopping (which is fun anyway but with 8% plus sales tax)   They also have their own website. 

Valued Contributor

There is a huge problem with roving groups of teens preying on innocent people in the downtown, Gold Coast, and lakefront areas.  The police have actually had to corral them and walk them back to the train stations which serve the areas from which they came.

The full extent of the problem is not easy to determine, as the mayor of Chicago has made certain that most of the issues of this nature are not publicized, so as to not hurt tourism. Be extremely cautious, especially since being dependent on a walker, you will be a sitting duck for their shenanigans.

Respected Contributor

@KLevineFan  It really depends on what you like.  If you like art. Art Institute of Chicago is a must.  Field Museum and Skydeck Chciago at Willis Tower as you mentioned are great ideas.  Both are worth visiting.  You can also look into the Chicago Architecture River Tour, it is a fun way to see the city without walking. Since the field Museum or the Art Institute will require a bit of walking (but I am pretty sure that the museums have wheelchairs available if you need it).  Taste of Chicago will be happening from July 11th to 15th at Grant Park. It is a outdoor food and music festival if you like that.  Chinatown is also having a summer fair on July 15th. If you like Chinese food, that will a fun place to go.

You will never run out of things to do in Chicago. Enjoy and have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

Go see the bean.

Trusted Contributor

What is the bean?

Respected Contributor

The Bean is a big metal bean shaped sculpture in Millennium Park, which is very close to Grant Park where the taste of Chicago is.  And it is also close to the Art Institute. So, if you plan to go to the Art Institute, you can go see the Bean. But if you are planning just to go see the bean, it is just a sculpture.

Respected Contributor

Another museum that I really enjoyed is the Richard H. Driehaus Museum.  It is on 40 E. Erie so very close to everything on the Miracle Mile.  You can check it out on their website. 

Respected Contributor

You might enjoy a dinner cruise on

Lake Michigan

There is this one and Odessy cruise

https://www.spiritcruises.com/chicago/cruises/dinner-cruises?src=google&loc=chicago&ad=dinner&campai...

also the Wendella river cruises are wonderful

http://www.wendellaboats.com/

Im in the western suburbs. The restaurants are wonderful, ask your concierge