Regular Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for a road trip from NJ to TN

I just wanted to come back and THANK YOU everyone for your suggestions!

And to the person who mentioned AAA, yes I have had their membership for years and know about their trip ticks.  But nothing beats personal suggestions & recommendations (or even avoidances).  

The only thing I was curious about since several people mentioned hotels and I kinda got this message.... why avoid the budget motels?  Are they THAT bad down there? (I'll be travelling with my BF so won't be alone).  I'm only looking to get a place half way down to do a little sight seeing, then rest my head & elevate my legs for one night, before continuing my journey the next morning.  Also whichever town I finally choose on the way down for my 1st stop, I'm going to choose a different town on the way back, just for a little variety. 

Regular Contributor

@software

@software wrote:

When you say Rt 81 are you referring to the Interstate 81?

Consider taking a side trip through at least part of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Beautiful scenery.

Yes, we're travelling the bulk of our journey on interstate 81 from NJ to Chattanooga TN.  And making a one-night pit stop about half way down and half way back.  

I googled the Blue Ridge Parkway online and it seemed so far away from that interstate?  Not sure how many hours it will add on to my journey or if we can wing it.  Hmmm.  Will I be encountering any slow downs or mountinous roads by chance?  Hmmmm some more.  I gotta do a little more research and play with Google maps online a bit more.  Thanks for your suggestion though!  These are the kind of suggestions I'm looking for!  

This reminds me when I was driving in Arizona in the 90's and I kinda accidently took a shortcut thru Sedona (at the time I didn't know I was going thru that town, I just took a side rode because I saw signs for my destination and I thought going that way would be a shortcut).  Looking back, that was THE best decision and best scenic shortcut I ever took! 

Honored Contributor

@Mesmerized169 wrote:

@software

@software wrote:

When you say Rt 81 are you referring to the Interstate 81?

Consider taking a side trip through at least part of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Beautiful scenery.

Yes, we're travelling the bulk of our journey on interstate 81 from NJ to Chattanooga TN.  And making a one-night pit stop about half way down and half way back.  

I googled the Blue Ridge Parkway online and it seemed so far away from that interstate?  Not sure how many hours it will add on to my journey or if we can wing it.  Hmmm.  Will I be encountering any slow downs or mountinous roads by chance?  Hmmmm some more.  I gotta do a little more research and play with Google maps online a bit more.  Thanks for your suggestion though!  These are the kind of suggestions I'm looking for!  

This reminds me when I was driving in Arizona in the 90's and I kinda accidently took a shortcut thru Sedona (at the time I didn't know I was going thru that town, I just took a side rode because I saw signs for my destination and I thought going that way would be a shortcut).  Looking back, that was THE best decision and best scenic shortcut I ever took! 

The Blue Ridge parkway is a very well maintained highway.   And yes, it's mountainous, which is kind of the point, right?   The interstate is so boring.   The parkway is gorgeous.   Whatever you decide, enjoy and be safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mesmerized169 wrote:

The only thing I was curious about since several people mentioned hotels and I kinda got this message.... why avoid the budget motels?  Are they THAT bad down there? (I'll be travelling with my BF so won't be alone).  

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't necessarily avoid budget hotels.  I would just be sure to look at review websites like TripAdvisor, Bookings.com, etc to make sure you are getting a good, clean room. I like TripAdvisor because they rank them (how? I don't know.). When I last went to Tennessee to visit my sister, we stayed at the #1 hotel listed for her town - which was a budget hotel.  They aren't all created equal.

Honored Contributor

@Mesmerized169-

If you are mid coast, would you be able to stop at Cape May and Cape May Point?

You probably have been there before but it is a wonderful place-also sunset beach right by Cape May Point-thats where the most Cape May "diamonds" are.

There are bed and breakfasts there.

I hope you have a great trip. 

My son said Tennessee is one of the most beautiful places he's ever been.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Mesmerized169 wrote:

I just wanted to come back and THANK YOU everyone for your suggestions!

And to the person who mentioned AAA, yes I have had their membership for years and know about their trip ticks.  But nothing beats personal suggestions & recommendations (or even avoidances).  

The only thing I was curious about since several people mentioned hotels and I kinda got this message.... why avoid the budget motels?  Are they THAT bad down there? (I'll be travelling with my BF so won't be alone).  I'm only looking to get a place half way down to do a little sight seeing, then rest my head & elevate my legs for one night, before continuing my journey the next morning.  Also whichever town I finally choose on the way down for my 1st stop, I'm going to choose a different town on the way back, just for a little variety. 

I think if you stick with Holiday Inn, or Hilton brands you are sure of a certain quality throught the country.  

and you can book them all online before you go.

My daughter drove from TX--NJ a few years ago and went through the Smokies/TN and did the planning and has reservations  

QVC Customer Care

@Mesmerized169, I have taken that trip to visit my family, from PA To GA. Another really pretty area is Harrisonburg, VA around James Madison University.

Have a Safe & fun road trip!!

Susan Q-Social

Contributor

Haven't traveled this route in about 15 years, used to travel GA to NJ and back. Would stay at exit 222 (don't remember the name of the exit; a couple exits north of Roanoke if I remember correctly, it was about the half way mark for us).  Several times, we (my then young daughter and I) would take side trips to different caverns along the way, off I-81.  One was Luray Caverns. Nice side trip, if you like rocks and caves.  I also would pack a picnic lunch, which we would stop at one of the rest stops, to eat.  Just something a little out of the ordinary which made for an enjoyable trip....not always eating at restaurants.  

Hey, thanks for bringing back such nice memories!