Super Contributor

Need advice on Planning a Trip to Amish Country,Ohio

My husband and I want to visit Holmes County,Ohio. Where to stay?  Berlin, Millersburg, Sugar Creek or a Walnut Creek?  Anyone have B&B or hotel recommendations?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, such as good restaurants, shops, etc.  We will be driving from NJ this summer. Thank u in advance!

Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice on Planning a Trip to Amish Country,Ohio

[ Edited ]

We visited that area probably 5 years ago and really enjoyed it.  We stayed at a Comfort Inn in Dover, Ohio which was located near Interstate 77 and not far from all the towns you mentioned.  A couple places we visited that stick out in my mind are Yoders Amish Home in Millersburg (an Amish tour guide gave us a tour of an Amish home and farm) and Warthers Museum in Dover (Ernest Warthers wooden carving collection, button collection, Swiss gardens, family home and workshop). 

Valued Contributor

We can drive and spend the day so I can't help you with lodging.  Where to eat??? Mrs. Yoder's kitchen in Mt. Hope is my favorite place in the whole wide world.  You won't be disappointed at all. I can't recommend anywhere else because that is the only place we ever eat.

Lehman's Hardware in Kidron is another must see.  It has anything an Amish or an English person would want. The whole village of Berlin is nice.  I recommend a visit to Sol's.  It's interesting.  There are so many places to go and things to see.  We go about 4 times a year.  

However, find other things to do on a Sunday.  Most true Amish shops are closed on Sundays.  

Honored Contributor

You may know this but never attempt to photograph the Amish. It's forbidden.

Occasional Contributor

Hello Ladies! First time poster on this forum. I had to chime in. I live 60 minutes from Amish country and visit there often. All my family and friends choose The Carlisle Inn to stay for a day or two. It's part of the Dutchman Hospitality Group which helps you plan everything together. They have a website that will take you on a tour of everything to do. Very clean and safe environment to.  We enjoy ourselves everytime we go. Hope you do too!!  Smiley Wink

Contributor

We have always stayed at the Berlin Grande Hotel in Berlin. Have always been very happy with the room and service.

For restuarant we LOVE the little restuarant across the street from Village Gift Barn called Der Bake Oven Bakery and Cafe.  It's a bakery and restaurant, it's small and not very noticeable but the food is awesome and the atmosphere is great.  Don't get me started on the Bakery!  Our favorite stores are the Village Gift Barn, Country Gatherings and Kaufmanns Kountry Store in Berlin. We also love Carlisle Gift Shop in Walnut Creek and Dutch Valley Gifts in Sugarcreek.

Valued Contributor

@Pamela330 wrote:

Hello Ladies! First time poster on this forum. I had to chime in. I live 60 minutes from Amish country and visit there often. All my family and friends choose The Carlisle Inn to stay for a day or two. It's part of the Dutchman Hospitality Group which helps you plan everything together. They have a website that will take you on a tour of everything to do. Very clean and safe environment to.  We enjoy ourselves everytime we go. Hope you do too!!  Smiley Wink

Welcome to the boards!   We always choose the Carlisle Inn also. We live 3hours away from Holmes County and visit often.

Occasional Contributor

Oh how sweet! Thank you for the welcome. I've been enjoying your conversations for quite sometime and decided to share my two cents worth. You all are just saying what I'm thinking!!! Have A Great Day!!!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Loveac wrote:

My husband and I want to visit Holmes County,Ohio. Where to stay?  Berlin, Millersburg, Sugar Creek or a Walnut Creek?  Anyone have B&B or hotel recommendations?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, such as good restaurants, shops, etc.  We will be driving from NJ this summer. Thank u in advance!

I have been to Amish Country twice with my brother and sister in law.  We love it there...so much to see...and great places to eat. I just came across a booklet that I saved from one of our trips.  It is called Amish Country Backroads and Byways.  It includes articles on all the attractions and an area map and directory.  It is a wealth of information.  

I think you can get a recent publication at oacountry.com.  I highly recommend the Berlin Grande hotel and the Ohio Star Theatre...  Enjoy your trip this summer!  

Respected Contributor

minRe: Need advice on Planning a Trip to Amish Country,Ohio

@Mominohio lives near the Amish community (not sure where), but I bet she could give you some really good recommendations.