Regular Contributor

Need Suggestions for Fall Vacation - Traveling with Dogs

My husband and I are planning a vacation for mid to late October. Our two English Pointer dogs will be traveling with us. We are planning to do AirBnB. We are located in Southern Illinois so really do not want to travel more than 10 hours. We are very active vacationers and were thinking about staying close to state park areas and/or places that are very scenic. We plan to take our dogs when appropriate but not necessarily every place we go. Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee are out since we've been to several places in these states. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need Suggestions for Fall Vacation - Traveling with Dogs

Ever been to NH or Vermont? I don't know if it is within 10 hours drive, but they are beautiful states.

NH has gorgeous mountains and hiking trails, the foliage is breath taking during the fall. Lots of air BnB's in NH, about halfway up in NH is best (get up past the State capital of Concord NH).

The air in the mountain area is so clean you literally breathe it in and are startled at how fresh it smells.

Lots of other stuff to do also if you are not into hiking.

Vermont is also a beautiful state, although I don't know as much about it.

Esteemed Contributor

If you wanted to break your 10 hour rule, I’ve always wanted to go to Mt Rushmore, but that’s over 13/14 hours from Chicago. Overnight along the way.

Similar to the other items listed, there’s Michigan. Another place I want to go is Mackinac Island; that may fit within 10 hours.
Respected Contributor

the lovely and throw back to a gentler era city of Charleston, SC.

Walking city - food city - and pet friendly city.

Drive time: 11 hr 24 min (747.6 mi) via I-40 E and I-26 E

Respected Contributor

Before you book with air bob check the policy re dogs. Most we have looked atdo not allow animals.

what about the Great Smoky Mountains...absolutely breathtaking.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions @Alter Ego 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you @MoonieBaby ! We went to Charleston last fall and loved it. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

We went to the Smoky Mountains in 2017 in the fall. Loved it! I always contact the AirBnB to be sure they do allow dogs. Thank you @sydsgma1 !

Regular Contributor

Unfortunately @gabstoomuch Vermont would be a 20+ hour trip for us. But, I do love the Northern East Coast!

Honored Contributor

The last 2 years we went to Hilton Head in October. We also took our collie. Unfortunately the place we stayed does not allow pets.

We are doing the same again this year. The dog will stay at a local home through Rover.

There are lots of parks and tons of biking trails. Plus the beach and the weather will be warm that you can still enjoy the beach.

Savannah isn't far away, so we always go for the day and enjoy the restaurants. And Hilton Head has many good restaurants too. That is why we like going back. We know the place and it is an easy island to get around. Plus there are 2 Tanger Outlet malls too.