Super Contributor

Need Advice about travelling to Hawaii

We are thinking of going to Hawaii, and would like advice on which island to stay on, things to do/see. We have never been there, so anything will be helpful. Thinking about staying at a VRBO. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Advice about travelling to Hawaii

It's -13 here in RI.....can I come along?!

Honored Contributor

Love Hawaii!  Been there several times.  Each island is different so it depends on what you want to do.  Oahu and Maui (our favorite) are more crowded.  Kauai is a little too quiet for us.  The Big Island is getting more popular, rightfully so.  Lots to do, not so crowded.

It is expensive so be prepared.  Aloha!

Super Contributor

If you have never been I would highly recommend going to OAHU, there is so much to see and do- I would also recommend buying your hotel and air in a package especially if you are fortunate enough to fly on Hawaiian Airlines- I have stayed many places on Waikki beach but I have found the Hilton Hawaiian Village to be the best place and best value- staying blocks from the beach will give you sub par hotels and you will have the walk to the beach- you don't really need to rent a car as there are so many tours to take that start at your hotel or nearby at another property- if you are looking for less attractions then I gues Maui is your best bet but it can get really boring- so OAHU is your best bet for a first timer- enjoy your trip

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been going to Hawaii since 1993. My first trip involved 3 nights on Oahu, 3 nights on Maui, and 3 nights on the Big Island. Over the years, Oahu and the Big Island are my favorites. If you go to Oahu, you will have the hectic pace of Waikiki...but a beach is a beach. You will need to visit other areas of Oahu to see the contrasts and beautiful scenery.

The Big Island is called "Big" for a reason; all the other island can fit into its area. It is geographically diverse and offers several of the climates of the world. I can easily spend  a week on the Big Island enjoying the different feaures or just relaxing. If I had a choice of a paid vacation given to me to Maui or the Big Island, I would chose the Big Island.

A VRBO unit can save you money but make sure it is located close to the beach. For most places on Oahu, you will not need a car unless you are at a resort far out of Waikiki. The Waikiki Trolley goes all over.  A rental will be needed for the other islands. If on Oahu, and you want to venture out for a day or two to other locations on Oahu, a day's car rental can be cheaper than the parking fees at many places. Rent it,, go out, and then return in the evening.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

We are thinking of going to Hawaii, and would like advice on which island to stay on, things to do/see. We have never been there, so anything will be helpful. Thinking about staying at a VRBO. Thanks!

When we went as a family group, we booked through AAA.  We stayed on the Big Island-you have the Kilauea active volcano- they have hikes to see the lava flow, black andgreen sand beaches.  We island hopped and stay on Oahu- lots to do the- Pearl Harbor Memorial,Aloha BowlSwap Meet, Wakiki Beach.  Last trips have been to Maui, they have the Road to Hana which is a spectacular drive (long) around the island. It is beautiful. Also on Maui is Haleakala national park, I believe its on the highest point of the island.  It's beautiful there as well.

Honored Contributor

We've been twice. Our first trip was a Pride of America cruise. We went to four islands and saw sights we would have never seen otherwise. The ship took us by the volcano at night which was an awesome sight but the most beautiful IMO was Kauai. The landscape left me speechless (begins with "P") and we did two excursions on each stop. Awesome experience. The second time we spent a week on Oahu since our son in law was stationed at Pearl Harbor. He's no longer there (transferred to Fargo ND). What a drastic change. Anyway have fun. 

Esteemed Contributor

We went to Hawaii a few years ago. We saw Oahu, Maui and Kaiui. We both did not like Kauai all that much. Way to humid. Everything from sheets to money to toilet paper was constantly damp. Maybe because we live in the desert where we don’t get much humidity it bothered us more than others who live where it gets humid. On the other hand we liked Maui the best. Get ready to spend a lot on food, drinks and just about anything else. Very expensive. I don’t think I would go back, once is enough to say yes I’ve been to Hawaii. I would rather spend  my money by going back to Alaska or England. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DD's MIL got caught at the terminal with her jars of goodies. What we did was to ship out what we had picked out -- Kona coffee, for one...from Greenwell farms on the big island. (Loved that tour!) We hit the green sand & black sand beaches. The best photography is at Waipi'o Valley! (Bring good walking shoes.)

Of course, Pearl Harbor & Diamond Head on Oahu.

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 We also have some QVC posters who live in Hawaii, like @SurferWife, so hopefully they all will post some suggestions. 

It has been many, many years since I have been there; last time was in the 80's, I think. So I hope a whole lot of people with more recent experiences will pop in and help you out.