Respected Contributor

National World War II Museum

We have been to New Orleans several times and had never vistied the WWII Museum. I guess I thought it was just a museum but it is THE National World War II Museum.

After a day long visit, I understand how it is rated a top museum in the US and the World. It is very well presented. It is recommended that you start your visit with a 20 minute movie, narrated by Tom Hanks. 

The Bob Hope exhibit will open soon. We had a nice white napkin lunch but they also have a Soda Fountain type eatery. On Saturdays, you can ride an actual PT boat. Everyone there was exceptionally nice. 

It is in the warehouse district of NO. With walking distance is the aquarium, children's museum, contemporary art museum and museum of southern art. 

Respected Contributor

Re: National World War II Museum

[ Edited ]

We were in New Orleans in 1989 to attend the Elk's convention. Have not been back since. I think DH would love to see that museum. Will put it on his bucket list.

Honored Contributor

You need more than a day to do the whole museum! Last time we were there we visited for the first time, and only got to see the Pacific part of it. Next time we're down we will do the European part. DH likes planes, so we spent a lot of time there. You start by boarding a "train," and you get a set of dog tags belonging to someone. You follow their story (much like the Titanic experience that went to museums around the country a while back). Mine belonged to a young 20-something American girl whose dad worked at the Embassy in the Phillipines before the war. Her story was interesting, and although she and her mom went through some scary times, they all survived. We also did the submarine experience. I wasn't very good at my post, but then the kids that were there were having fun! We. too, started our time by seeing the movie narrated by Tom Hanks. It really is something to see! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Wow, I had no idea that this existed.  Putting it on my bucket list!  Our father was a Marine in WWll, a plane machanic.  Also in the Korean war.  We have some fabulous pictures of his, unbelieveable.  I want to tell my sisters about this and see if we can go.  What time of year would be the best time to go?  Thanks for this post...SC

Respected Contributor

As I said we went specifically for the Museum visit. We arrived on Sunday afternoon. It was hot but not humid so we just walked around a little in the Jackson Square area.

There are many hotels within walking distance to the Museum. We stayed at an Embassy suite about 3 blocks away. There was a Courtyard and Renaissance is directly across the street.If searching it is called the Warehouse district. We just checked out of the hotel that morning and took bags to the bag check at the museum. We were able to stay until about 4 to make a 6pm flight. There was no wait for a cab and it took about 15-20 minutes to the airport. $40.00 cab ride.

The heat and humidity in NO is brutal! There are multiple buildings but not more than a few steps from each other. You would not have to walk far unless you just wanted another eating option. And there are very nice places near. The restaurant(and bar) in the museum is not fast food. 

As older baby boomers, we have parents or others that served in WWII. But this history should be meaningful to everyone. 

NO is not my favorite place. But I would say if you have not seen this unique city, take a day to see at least an overview. This hotel was 3 blocks from the trolley that runs N-S to the tourist spots for $3.00 RT daily pass. It connects to the E-W trolley that runs up and down Canal Street. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone, for the info on this museum.  I've donated for years, but have never been down to NO to visit.  I didn't realize that they had so many interactive incredible exhibits and that the museum was that enormous.  I always wondered why it wasn't in Washington.  My Dad was overseas in WWII in the Army.    I'll definitely have to go....  maybe when it's not that hot and humid.