Super Contributor

I'm going to NYC in May.

what is the best way to get from JFK to Mahhatten? Cab? Uber? Private hire car?

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

A cab will get you directly where you want to go.  TAking the Super Shuttle will work and is cheaper but they take multiple passengers and go around to various hotels to drop passengers.  if you are one of the first drops you are good to go but if you are at the end of the line it can add 45 minutes to your trip.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with KathyPet. I take cabs or SuperShuttle (they don't drop off/pick up only at hotels, they do residences, too). I have to say,  I've had SuperShuttle drivers who didn't know where they were going. Smiley Frustrated

Born and raised in NYC. I offered to drive when one driver really screwed up. Smiley Very Happy

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

Super Contributor

@MRSTH wrote:

I agree with KathyPet. I take cabs or SuperShuttle (they don't drop off/pick up only at hotels, they do residences, too). I have to say,  I've had SuperShuttle drivers who didn't know where they were going. Smiley Frustrated

Born and raised in NYC. I offered to drive when one driver really screwed up. Smiley Very Happy

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

You drove? That's funny. I'm leaning towards cab...

Trusted Contributor

No, I didn't actually drive. Smiley HappyShe was so lost, I told her to move over and I'd drive. I was tired and I wanted to get home. She wouldn't let me, but, the other passengers wanted me to. 

Honestly, I think you'd be fine either way....cab or SuperShuttle. I'd have no qualms about taking either one. 

Honored Contributor

probably a taxi

I think there is an argument between the taxi comission that wont allow uber into the airport

(and IIRC) Uber into the city as well..

be prepared to cough up the bucks for  this. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GusMo wrote:

I'm going to NYC in May.

what is the best way to get from JFK to Mahhatten? Cab? Uber? Private hire car?

Thanks!

@GusMo- it depends on how much luggage you are bringing and your budget.  I hate pulling heavy suitcases.  Uber, as someone mentioned, has restrictions re airport pickup.  I fly in and out of JFK, often but go to NJ.  I prefer car service, the fee is set, no surprises and I like having someone there meeting me and sometimes it isn't easy to find a cab.  If you take a cab, make sure you don't grab a gypsy service but an approved cab.  

Trusted Contributor

@GusMo

This is a link to the official website. Within are links to various car services, etc. It might help you out to know prices and options. 

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-taxi-car-van-service.html

Respected Contributor

I'd go with a private car so I knew ahead of time who was picking me up and what it was going to cost me.

My husband has had great taxi cab drivers and some less than great and honest taxi drivers.

Honored Contributor

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

flat rate from JFK into Manhattan -