Respected Contributor

Any hotel recommendations in a central location?  Going with another couple and plan to visit 9-11 Memorial, Ellis Island and the department stores and Chelsea. My friend has heard there is a terrible bed bug problem in NYC.  Anyone have a bad experience?  Hope it is more hype than fact!!  I imagine they can be most anywhere!!

Honored Contributor

OMG this is one of the funniest thing I have heard NYC is a huge place stay at a legit hotel and you will have no issues 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Google Bed Bug registry NYC.

Frequent Contributor

We stay at the Omni Berkshire every year and never had a problem

Trusted Contributor

The Washington Square Hotel is wonderful. Great location, rooms are small, but well appointed - great showers, robes, slippers. Continental breakfast is included and they have the most wonderfulf homemade scones. Reasonably priced, no bed bugs.

Esteemed Contributor

There are SO MANY hotels in NYC that I can't recommend one in particular. I'd narrow it down by which area you want to be closest to. If you want to be right in the middle of the tourist action, for example, you could choose the Marriott in Times Square. However, there are so many neighborhoods in Manhattan that it's really a matter of preference and price. Check out Trip Advisor for more guidance. Be prepared for outrageous prices and crowds. NYC in December is a fantastic destination but Rockefeller Plaza and the gorgeous Christmas Tree often bring many, many tourists. Still, it's worth the trip. One recommendation. Do not leave Manhattan without trying some famous NYC pizza.

Trusted Contributor

Another thought - since you plan to visit the 9-11 memorial and Ellis Island, hotels in the financial district can have some good pricing. Also, in that neighborhood. Located in the new Occulus mall next to the 9-11 site is Eataly - a must see/eat! Lady M cake boutique is fabulous. In Battery Park, take a ride on the Seaglass merry-go-round (not just for kids!). 

I would avoid staying in midtown/Times Square at all costs. Hoards of tourists and crappy food. Lower Manhattan is charming, great restaurants, less crowded. 

Honored Contributor

I agree Trip Advisor is a good place to start.  Decide your price range and your favored location.  READ, READ, READ reviews. 

Remember though, I may get a beautiful room and the person 2 doors down may have a tiny cubby hole.

NYC is magical in December.  Do not miss Bryant Park's Christmas Market and skating rink.

Honored Contributor

I've heard Times Square has gone to h#ll, but try to go to Rockefeller Plaza for the decorations and ice skating.   NYC is beautiful that time of year.    Macy's at Herald Square is wonderfully decorated, very festive as well.

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Any hotel recommendations in a central location?  Going with another couple and plan to visit 9-11 Memorial, Ellis Island and the department stores and Chelsea. My friend has heard there is a terrible bed bug problem in NYC.  Anyone have a bad experience?  Hope it is more hype than fact!!  I imagine they can be most anywhere!!

Honored Contributor

If you are going in December between x-mas and new years, I'm not sure I'd recommend staying in Time Square unless you don't mind crowds.  And I mean, ginormous, elbow to elbow crowds.

We flew in the Wednesday after x-mas this past year and flew home new years eve morning.  We had a hotel in Time Square and it was nuts.  By Friday evening, we just ended up going back to our hotel about 10:00  because the crowd was crazy and I just couldn't deal with it anymore.  Everything that week was crazy crowded.

That being said, I would not hesitate to go back at x-mas.  It's absolutely gorgeous.  The decorations were more than I could have imagined.   But I wouldn't stay in Time Square again at that time of the year.