Frequent Contributor

I would appreciate suggestions on the best one-day tours of NYC.  My daughter & I have limited days to visit.  Also, hotels in good location for plays.  Thank you in advance. 

Esteemed Contributor

You can't beat the Top On Hop Off tours (we usually do a full circuit and then ride again part way until we get off for something that interests us).

Trusted Contributor

Re: NYC day tours

[ Edited ]

Here it is, all written out for you by the NYC  Dept of Tourism

Read the individual sections  for Explore, Stay, Navigate and you can get a lot of info in one place. 

https://www.nycgo.com

Here’s another site that is full of planning and organizing info depending on your budget, tourist style ( Music? Museums? Galleries? Special events?, Landmarks?) and how much time you want to spend. 

https://www.nyc.com/visitor_guide/

you can also call 1 888 visitny 1-888 847 4869 and ask everything from people who do nothing but help tourists. Friendly and free! 

I live in NYC so I just don’t know much about tour companies 

Honored Contributor

I agree with a previous poster, the hop on/hop off buses are a good way to go.  I think they only run from 9 to 5 so in the evening I would highly recommend taking the Staten Island ferry for a great view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan skyline.  Sorry can't' help with hotels and good luck finding anything for less than $250 a night especially in the Times Square area where most of the theaters are.

Super Contributor

I think the skyline of NYC is amazing and to fully see it and take pictures of it, the Circle Line Tours are the best.  There are different tours and one which goes around the island.  Guides explain what you are seeing.  It is informative, relaxing and great photo ops.  Enjoy your trip.

Respected Contributor

I actually prefer New York Waterways rather than Circle Line, which gets a lot of tours and school outtings.

Valued Contributor

I always stay midtown Manhatttan, close to theaters, shopping, walking, etc. You can google hotels in Midtown and you'll get maps that show location. Last time we stayed at the Hilton Garden on 35th between 5th and 6th Avenues.  Great hotel, and new! Be sure to read all reviews before booking directly with the hotel.

Love, love, love NYC! There's always something new to explore whenever I go. Have a great time!

Honored Contributor

Re: NYC day tours

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

I agree with a previous poster, the hop on/hop off buses are a good way to go.  I think they only run from 9 to 5 so in the evening I would highly recommend taking the Staten Island ferry for a great view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan skyline.  Sorry can't' help with hotels and good luck finding anything for less than $250 a night especially in the Times Square area where most of the theaters are.

I agree with this. And the Statue of Liberty at night, all light up is breathtaking. I still am amazed when I see it at night in all its glory.     Oh, and we always do the hop on hop off bus whenever we go to a new city.

Honored Contributor

I love visiting NYC.  I stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Not cheap (nothing is) but check out special rates.  It is close to many theaters so you can walk. Also, Junior's has a restaurant right across the street which is very good....love having a big breakfast there.  I have gone on the hop-on/hop-off tours that are very good.  I have mentioned before.....be careful of cab drivers in NYC.  Most are very honest and friendly.  Some try to scam you...quick to take your money ....slip a bill aside and then show you that you did not pay enough.  Always count money out to cab drivers!

Enjoy your trip....fun city! 

Respected Contributor

@walker wrote:

I love visiting NYC.  I stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Not cheap (nothing is) but check out special rates.  It is close to many theaters so you can walk. Also, Junior's has a restaurant right across the street which is very good....love having a big breakfast there.  I have gone on the hop-on/hop-off tours that are very good.  I have mentioned before.....be careful of cab drivers in NYC.  Most are very honest and friendly.  Some try to scam you...quick to take your money ....slip a bill aside and then show you that you did not pay enough.  Always count money out to cab drivers!

Enjoy your trip....fun city! 

I feel like I have to somehow defend my city. I've taken hundreds of cab rides and have never had this happen to me. Maybe you forgot to tip??? I guess it could happen but it's not something I'd be concerned about.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown