Esteemed Contributor

Just wanted to add to these great comments - wear sunglasses so as to avoid eye contact even more! 

Honored Contributor

When I was in Vancouver a couple of months ago, I went to Gastown with a woman from a small southern town.  I was taking a picture and someone went up to her and started telling her a sob story and looking for money. I finished taking the photo and grabber her arm and pulled her along and said we're done here.

Never stop, never make eye contact and don't feel bad about being rude.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

as everyone stated - no eye contact and move along

these guys are wanna be singers trying to sell you their music so they say

so if you take a CD thinking they are passing out samples - 

they will engage in conversation and then the CD is x amount of dollars

there will be many homeless or scammers begging for money

just keep on walking - enjoy this great walking city

Frequent Contributor

What is a monk in NYC           Tia  Linda

Honored Contributor

Re: NYC Scams-mainly CD's

[ Edited ]

I have never had any of these problems walking around NYC. With all this advice it sounds like you are walking around in a third world country. I have never had anyone try to grab me accost me, etc.

I lived in Turkey a long time ago. I did use all the advice given when walking around there as you would be steered off the street into shops, but never found those problems in NY.

Just use the same common sense you would walking anywhere. And Times Square, we sit at the tables and in the bleachers there. No problems.

Honored Contributor
Gee, I’ve lived in Manhattan almost 30 years now ... no idea what you are referring to.
Honored Contributor

I hope you had a wonderful time in NYC.

I seriously think that either those videos you watched before your trip were dated in 1990, or they were made by people who really know nothing about the current New York.

Who still buys CDs?  Not many people (you cannot even find a CD player in the newer laptops sold today).  That CD craze -- selling on street corners -- went away so long ago, and even then I only heard about it from tourists with cameras hung from their necks and walking while looking up at the skyline the entire time.  Of course that's a slight exaggeration, but I think you get the idea.  Any scammer will pick out a person in a crowd of a thousand who looks like a deer caught in the headlights.  THat's in any city.

I was born and raised in NYC.  It's a remarkable place with wonderful people who are straightforward, always walk with a purpose, have a great sense of humor, and are actually very, helpful.  

As with any town -- have an open mind, try not to look like a tourist, and have fun!

Trusted Contributor

I was in the city Friday night.  The street vendors were out, as usual, but they don't need to harass anyone.  Visitors go to them!

Great advice here.  The only thing I would add is that when I have a coat/jacket, I wear my crossbody under my jacket.  But I do that in Europe also.