Frequent Contributor

While following up on things to do in NYC when we are there is Dec I found multiple videos on the scams especially the CD guys

and the "fake" monks.  I am not concerned with the monks but I have read many many comments that those CD guys can be very intimidating and scare some people so bad they give them money just to get rid of them.  I was wondering those of you who live/work in NYC can tell me what is the best way to get past them?  I plan on just not even acknowledging them and to avoid eye contact and just keep walking.  

I know they are in Times Square and since our hotel is near there I am sure we will be there more then once.  Of course I know they are in other parts of the city also but I just don't want to be hassled by these guys every time I walk by them.  

Thanks again for any help on this matter...Diane  

Honored Contributor

No eye contact....look right though or past them.  keep one hand on handbag (I always use a crossbody) and the other in your coat pocket...never take anything that someone wants to give you.  Keep walking.  I never had a problem.

Honored Contributor

@DianeFL wrote:

While following up on things to do in NYC when we are there is Dec I found multiple videos on the scams especially the CD guys

and the "fake" monks.  I am not concerned with the monks but I have read many many comments that those CD guys can be very intimidating and scare some people so bad they give them money just to get rid of them.  I was wondering those of you who live/work in NYC can tell me what is the best way to get past them?  I plan on just not even acknowledging them and to avoid eye contact and just keep walking.  

I know they are in Times Square and since our hotel is near there I am sure we will be there more then once.  Of course I know they are in other parts of the city also but I just don't want to be hassled by these guys every time I walk by them.  

Thanks again for any help on this matter...Diane  

just keeping walking and don't make contact, 

just like at the mall with all those annoying kiosk people 

Respected Contributor

@DianeFL Maybe I need more coffee....what is a CD guy?

Honored Contributor

@alicedee 

Those guys who sell bootleg music CD's from the trunks of their cars.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I've lived in NYC for more than 70 years. My advice is: don't believe everything you see about city life on YouTube. 

Times Square is full of cops available for anyone with a problem in the streets. Vendors don't persist and harass people to buy bootleg CDs. You just keep walking, ignore anyone you find wanting your attention, and stop worrying about beggars and vendors. Pickpockets are sometimes around in crowded areas, so avoid being bumped into and be aware of your belongings. 

More good advice:  don't show your money in public. If you're carrying a wad of cash, peel off one or two loose bills to tuck into a pocket and use as needed so you don't have to flash all of it to make a purchase. Keep your handbag closed and zipped. Try to get your bearings around your destination so you're not walking with a map, looking around like a rube, and showing you are unfamiliar. Walk with a purpose. 

When you are actually in New York, you will laugh to discover that there are nearly no fake monks, though some homeless do beg, and street vendors do not pursue you to buy anything. They want to show you what's for sale, but they don't go after you, lest they be arrested. You can say no thanks or just keep walking and have no fears. The dangers of being intimidated on NYC streets, especially in areas very populated like Times Square and Rockefeller Center (around the holidays) are greatly exaggerated. 

Your plan to walk without eye contact and stride purposefully will make you appear like every New Yorker in the street. You're going to be happily surprised at how pleasant and comfortable it is to be on the streets of NY. Have fun and don't be scared. Police are very present around Times Square. You'll be quite safe. 

Super Contributor

Re: NYC Scams-mainly CD's

[ Edited ]

Simply look straight ahead and keep  walking.  Do not engage in any way.  They will move on to the next person. Vendors really do not harass.   I think you are overthinking this.  Relax and enjoy your visit.  IMO Contrary  to what some may say, you will find in general New Yorkers are helpful and friendly.  The area is well policed and quite secure.  You will have a great time!

Honored Contributor

Ignore them and keep on going.  There fake CD guys, fake designer watch guys, fake sports and event guys in all big cities that draw in tourists.  They target the naive and the greedy.  They target people who want a deal or something on the cheap.  So, ignore them and just go about your business.  They aren't going to chase you down the street....LOL

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@alicedee 

Those guys who sell bootleg music CD's from the trunks of their cars.

Obviously I don't get out much!  Thanks, IG.

Super Contributor

NYC is safe. I was raised in NYC never had a problem.Most people mind their own business. I have traveled on the subway after midnight and never had a problem. Don't believe all the lies. Enjoy the city.