Respected Contributor

NYC Hampton Inn 8th near 51st

I tried to locate the person that recommended this hotel to say thanks. We were happy with this hotel -price and location. 10 minute walk to Times Square, Juniors!, 50th Metro, broadway.

If anyone is going to be in the area, we found a neat little place called Lillie's Tavern on 51st near 8th. It a British Pub serving a small menu of wonderful traditional pub food at very reasonable prices. 

Ellen's Stardust food was not good but if you want something different I guess the singing waitress thing is popular. 

We had been to NYC many times before and made this trip to visit the 911 memorial and took a day trip to West Point. We took the short line bus from the terminal on 42nd RT. and had about 4 hours there. The tour was 1 hour 15 minutes and was not worth the effort. We went into the Chapel and all the rest was a drive-by with a tour guide explaining.We got out of the bus one time and viewed some statues and IF a person had super vision one might see some cadets in line for lunch. They had dc the cemetery tours for the winter season.  Had lunch at the historical Thayer Hotel which was nice.

Kinky Boots was great. Rockettes Christmas Show was underwelming. Many seemed to be a bit bored. We observed lots of wiggling, texting, talking. I'm sure some will disagree. 

Eataly (near 911) was a good spot. I thought there would be more variety of eat in the "food court" vs the menu service. 

Again thanks for the Hotel recommendation. I love this travel forum.

Trusted Contributor

Re: NYC Hampton Inn 8th near 51st

[ Edited ]

@granddi

Oh my gosh !!!  I think it was me that recommended it.  I am so glad you like it.  I do think that is the best kept secret for hotels in NYC.  Location, Location, Location and reasonably priced.  I have stayed there 6 times so far and will continue to do so. 

I ate at that pub a couple trips ago.  Very decent food.  

So glad I was of help

Super Contributor

Re: NYC Hampton Inn 8th near 51st

That is where I stayed in May. I thought it was a great location. Right across the street from the subway and only a couple blocks from Times Square, close to Central Park, etc. I am going to NYC again in January and am staying there again.