Frequent Contributor

We will be in NYC December 8th to the 12th and I need some help.  First of all we will be staying on 8th Ave and I'm wondering if

we could walk from there to Radio City Music Hall?  I have already told husband that if it's freezing cold (we are from FL so it probably will be to us) we are taking a cab or uber which leads to my second question.  How much do you tip cab/uber?  Is it the 20% like when dining?  I have no idea and want to be fair and give a good tip.  Thanks for all of your help.  I know I can always come here and get the answers I need.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@DianeFL8th avenue and where???  The Music Hall is on 50th and 6th (Avenue of the Americas).  The blocks between avenues tend to be longer than the blocks between streets.

We tip a cab driver 15%, maybe a little more.  Have never taken uber so I don't know how that works.

Honored Contributor

@DianeFL 

I agree 8th Ave and where, if you are in the 30's,40's 50's and 60's yes it is doable, Rockerfeller Center is 50th between 5th and 6th. I prefer Uber the price is set before you get in and you can add a trip if you are happy with the service.

Be sure to check out Macys at 34th and 6th but alas the iconic Lord and Taylor windows at 40th and 5th are no more Smiley Sad

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

So much to see and do especially during the holidays!! Google NYC during Christmas 2019 and you will find lists of current goings on.  Just strolling along 5th Ave. looking at the store window displays is a treat.  If you'd like to see a show do get tickets now...or you can always wait in line for 1/2 price tickets at any of these three places: Times Square TKTS Ticket BoothSouth Street Seaport TKTS Ticket Booth StandLincoln Square TKTS Ticket Booth

Good news is they are half price...bad news is you will have to stand in LONG lines in the cold.  It may or may not be cold... it's a ****** shoot these days. Tipping? You are in NYC NOT a foreign country LOL  Whatever you normally tip for good service.  Cabs take credit cards and their tip screen starts with 15% and you choose amount.  If you plan to pay cash get some singles to have on hand as that helps.  It is customary to tip people who help with luggage etc.  Again.. google tipping. There is a list of who to tip etc.Ice skating at Rockafeller Center is always fun but if that does not float your boat you can have brunch there and watch the folks skate.  Enjoy Chinese food?  Head to Chinatown.   There is so much to see and do.  My advice is not to be oerly ambitious as there is NO way you can see everything.  Make a list and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Towards the end of the month, start watching the weather pattern for NYC for the days you will be there, you might be surprised.   NYC is on the Gulf Stream.   They can have mild days in the winter.    But you from FL may find it cold but a sunny day with temperatures in the 40s is not bad with a good pair of shoes or boots with socks & a regular coat or jacket.  It can also rain that time of year, be prepared for that.

The subway is an option.    just like any big city, after dark is dicey but during the day, you should be able to walk almost anywhere safely, including the subway.

If you are staying around Times Square, it's a couple of blocks to walk.   In nice weather, just plan for it & take your time, lots to see.   Can't really enjoy NYC from the back seat of a taxi/Uber.

Enjoy your trip, it's the best time of year for a visit.

Honored Contributor

Which cross street ?

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@DianeFL 

I agree 8th Ave and where, if you are in the 30's,40's 50's and 60's yes it is doable, Rockerfeller Center is 50th between 5th and 6th. I prefer Uber the price is set before you get in and you can add a trip if you are happy with the service.

Be sure to check out Macys at 34th and 6th but alas the iconic Lord and Taylor windows at 40th and 5th are no more Smiley Sad

This is so sad to me.  That was one of my favorite things to see when I was there.  I'm glad I took a lot of pictures.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all of your help.  I don't know what cross street we are on but the hotel is the Hampton Inn Manhattan Times Square North if that helps.  I have been doing some research about things going on during our trip.  One thing I found was a walking tour for the Holiday lights. 

Our main reason was to see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center because I have always wanted to see it in person plus I wanted to see NYC at Christmas.  We were there about 15 years ago in the fall which was beautiful and I have no problems with walking but I am worried about husband because he is having some knee issues but says he will be ok walking.  

We may be able to walk to Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller Center because I'm sure I will want to see the tree more then once!   Thanks again for everyones tips and suggestions.

Honored Contributor

It looks like it's 8th and 51st looking at the map.  But someone who lives in the area would probably know better.

I think you will love it.  NYC at Christmas was on my bucket list and my sister surprised me a few years ago.  We left 2 days after Christmas and came home NYE.  It was crazy crowded but I loved every minute of it.  We stayed at Room Mate Grace Hotel on 45th in Time Square.  The tree was pretty much around the corner and we walked to Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockettes.  

I was just amazed by everything. You could tell I was a tourist.  LOL   

Respected Contributor

Re: NYC During Holidays

[ Edited ]

Bundle up and walk everywhere if it's not snowing.  You'll love it and discover so many things.  I just got back several days ago.  We were there visiting family and friends.  We walked 24,000 steps every day!  I know you're not used to chilly temps, but if you put on layers, you should be fine.  Look up at some of the amazing architecture.  Go to Central Park.  Buy a hot pretzel from a cart.  EAT PIZZA and BAGELS!    Go to the theatre (we saw TINA when we were there...   very good)  and museum(s) if that interests you.

There are so many wonderful neighborhoods to see...   Soho, Chelsea, UWS, etc.  Lincoln Center is fabulous ...   ballet, theater, opera, symphony.   Madison Sq Garden has sports ( I just checked and the Rangers are playing the Florida Panthers on Sun 12/10!).   The FREEDOM TOWER is a must.   Do the tour, it's excellent.

ENJOY yourselves.