Valued Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH CAR RENTALS IN FL!

Have you tried car dealerships?

When my daughter and her family were here last month they wanted $80 a day at the airport so son in law thought he could do better in town. He couldn't find anything available.

We called our Toyota dealer and they had a car available for $40 a day. 

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Contributor

I had heard there is a rental car shortage. Since the pandamic hit, cars were not being rented and those businesses had large inventories of cars. They sold them off to offset their bills.

Super Contributor

I rented a minivan for $730 for June12-26 out of Orlando, they are now going for over $2k!  Two years ago I paid less than $300 for two weeks, a minivan as well.

I was lucky I rented when I did, I kept waiting for it to go down and when I saw that it wasn't, I booked.  This was probably in late February!  

Scary thing now, I am reading on my resort website that people (some who've even paid in full when booking) are getting to the service counter and there is no car for them!  I'm scared to death this will happen to me, I mean why not cancel on me, they'd get another $1300 from the next customer.  

As someone suggested using a rental from a different location, I looked here in CT, husband was going to drive down to FL, it was just as expensive.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@FatCatinCT wrote:

I rented a minivan for $730 for June12-26 out of Orlando, they are now going for over $2k!  Two years ago I paid less than $300 for two weeks, a minivan as well.

I was lucky I rented when I did, I kept waiting for it to go down and when I saw that it wasn't, I booked.  This was probably in late February!  

Scary thing now, I am reading on my resort website that people (some who've even paid in full when booking) are getting to the service counter and there is no car for them!  I'm scared to death this will happen to me, I mean why not cancel on me, they'd get another $1300 from the next customer.  

As someone suggested using a rental from a different location, I looked here in CT, husband was going to drive down to FL, it was just as expensive.

Good luck!

I've seen this as well (but I'm looking at TripAdvisor for Hawaii.). The recommendation is to not go with a third party - even if you prepay.  That you should go via the rental company's website and prepay.  But, even then, I guess anything can happen. But, the odds are in your favor a tiny bit more.

Trusted Contributor

Yes there is a shortage of rental cars down here in FL. Daughter's car needs engine work, and she had hard time finding rental. She's in Tampa area. Finally found one for $600 for the week which is absolutely ridiculous. $100 a day??  Most hubby has ever paid for one is $20 a day, but of course that's pre covid. She had to take it because she works and has child to take to and from school and daycare.  Only car they had available was one mid size SUV. All small cars had been rented, and large sedans cost more than the SUV.  She cannot afford to rent beyond this one week so hoping her own car can be repaired quickly. It's a feeding frenzy zoo here in FL, overflow crowds everywhere because of holiday weekend. Makes me long for the peace and quiet of Ohio. 

Honored Contributor

my sister just got back from fort walton beach.

she said that the line for budget was LONG and she was happy that she used dollar rent a car. it was less expensive and no waiting.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Wish I lived closer to WPB.  I'd rent you mine!

Esteemed Contributor

We may go to Maui in the Fall; we are developing a fallback plan in case rental cars are ridiculous or non existent.  We should be able to get hotel shuttle for some trips or the local bus ( most hotel workers live in another community 30mins away ( better grocery shopping and different restaurants).  We've taken the bus in the past, especially when we

are on a ship in port and there aren't enough rental cars to go around.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We always go through Costco to rent cars. If you are a member, check them out, we find it is always cheaper and you get a free upgrade. I do see that rental car prices seem to be going way up everywhere though. Since Florida is a tourism state, am sure they take as much advantage of tourist as they can get away with!