Super Contributor

NEED HELP WITH CAR RENTALS IN FL!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INSIGHT ON CHEAP RENTAL CARS IN FLORIDA??

PRICES ARE THRU THE ROOF!

TRYING TO BOOK WEST PALM BEACH FOR JUNE.   THEY WANT OVER $100 A DAY PLUS TAXES.

ANY IDEAS?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH CAR RENTALS IN FL!

No deals....there is a sever shorage of cars available.  Almost impossible to even get a reservation.  I would hope on it fast if you find one.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Regular Contributor

During nationwide lockdown rental companies sold off large portions of their fleets.  My sister recently came to Florida and multiple companies at airport had consolidated so if you rented from Avis, Enterprise, Hertz everyone was directed to one of those places.  Don't know when this will be fixed.  She is coming back in June and prices are sky high!

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

TRYING TO BOOK WEST PALM BEACH FOR JUNE.   THEY WANT OVER $100 A DAY PLUS TAXES.

ANY IDEAS?

@qvc chick 

There have been national news stories recently about the shortage of rental cars due to (what else!) the pandemic.  That's all over the country, not just Florida.  About 6 weeks ago I had to rent a car while my car had body work done. 

I googled car rentals and called to actually talk to the rental places.  Picked up a bit of information that way that I couldn't get just by looking online.  Turns out that the prices change almost daily. 

The first day I called everyone, one particular company had the best deal, but it was still quite a bit higher than the insurance co. allowed. (I was hit by someone else so their insur. co. was responsible.) I waited a few days, and all of the prices had shifted drastically.  The cheapest company was now the highest price and another company had the best price.  That price was close to my allowed amount, so I booked it.  I had the car for 5 days and was out of pocket only $25.00.

So my advice is to keep checking for a few days, assuming this is not a last minute trip.  And good luck!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

If you're a Costco member, the have better rates for car rentals. 

Super Contributor

No, I checked Costco.  Rates were 95/day.  No big savings.

I just got back from N. Carolina.  I was able to get $31.99 day there.  But it was exausting trying.

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

ANY IDEAS?

It helps if you belong to a car rental service rewards programs.  You start getting deals/coupons right away.  Also, look outside the airport.  The car rental agencies located within the airport and airport grounds go first and are most expensive.  Just by going a few miles away from airport, you may luck out.  As other posters have mentioned, getting a car rental reservation has been a very difficult and prices have skyrocketed.  Florida, in particular,  is always in demand regardless of what's going on now.  Try going to the DisBoards.com and scroll down the forums section to transportation.  It's technically a Disney Forum but there is other threads for people seeking help and advice for car rentals.  Discount codes, people post where they've had luck finding a car, etc.  A lot of information to be had.  

Contributor

Look at Car share companies like AVAIL. They might be cheaper.

Esteemed Contributor

Something you could try is to get a one way rental away from WPB and drive to your destination.  Sometimes if there is a shortage of cars in one location renting in a different location with the understanding that you will be leaving the car in another location can be a big savings.

For example, if you rent in Tampa with the understanding that you will be returning the car in WPB you might get a better rate.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

I've read that people are renting U-Haul trucks!