Esteemed Contributor

Well my trip has ended and for those who are interested, I just want to tell you that the Nation Island of Barbados is beauteeeeeful!

The weather during the day can go from extremely hot to showers, to windy and overnight rain and clear again the next day.  The wet season for Barbados begins in June but I've read some info that by the middle of May it can start as well.

Most restaurants, bars and such close at 10:00p.m. Eastern time every night.  Food prices are high in the tourist areas.  We went to a convenient mart where a bag of potatoe chips cost $14 USD ($28.00 Bajan Dollars).  Of course, I didn't buy any of it.

The food we ate was one of the best parts of our trip.  We enjoyed wonderful fish dishes during our stay.  There is all kind of food on this Island.  Food choices range from typical Bajan foods to Jamaican to Italian and Chinese.

Not all of Barbados' beaches are created equal.  Some have really rough conditions which can make it dangerous to swim or do other water sports.  That's not a bad thing; it's just a need to know.  There are so many beaches in Barbados that you can find one to suit your needs by just asking and researching before hand.

What I did find disconcerting was their apparent greed and money grabs.  You must pay attention to your bills when dinning out.  A charge is added to your bill for each night of between .25-15 BBD for what they call a "Tourism Fund."  This fee is voluntary so as such this should not appear on your bill but it might.

I did not find that the people I came upon were so welcoming.  That doesn't mean anything on its face; but it could be misconstrued for bias for certain travellers.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Experience in Barbados

If you really want to see and experience the best Barbados has to offer I recommend starting with a seven day trip and renting a car!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for sharing that. It sounds wonderful and I'm glad you had a good time. I don't plan on a summer vacation this year and I enjoyed reading about yours.

Trusted Contributor

Wecome back and thanks for filling us in on your trip!

It sounds like you had a travel adventure with a good cross-section of experiences. I think that is better than "everything was perfect."

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis Oh, thanks so much for posting your experiences. I have never been to Barbados and so your information was very interesting. 

I was surprised to read about the range of food (Bajan, Jamaican, Italian, and Chinese). Would have never expected that. I try to eat what the locals eat wherever I go, but if I don't like it, it is nice to know there are some more familiar food types available.

Do you have any photos to post?

Thanks again for letting us in on your trip. Very interesting. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@itiswhatitis Oh, thanks so much for posting your experiences. I have never been to Barbados and so your information was very interesting. 

I was surprised to read about the range of food (Bajan, Jamaican, Italian, and Chinese). Would have never expected that. I try to eat what the locals eat wherever I go, but if I don't like it, it is nice to know there are some more familiar food types available.

Do you have any photos to post?

Thanks again for letting us in on your trip. Very interesting. Smiley Happy

@World Traveler I have many photos.  Most have me or another family member in them, so I will not be posting them.  Google is an excellent source for pics (stock and otherwise).

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Glad you had a good time!

Trusted Contributor

Bravo for your honest report! I love traveling and appreciate very much what you shared with us. 🌻

Super Contributor

The last time I went to Barbados was around 35 years ago. yikes!  It may be time for another trip.  

Trusted Contributor

Hubby and I went to Barbados a little more than 25 years ago and we really loved it. We rented a little jeep thing and it was pretty easy to get around. One of my fondest memories is the restaurants! Many interesting choices! We were so glad we didn't get an all inclusive at a resort-we would have missed out on some great food elsewhere.