Respected Contributor

Re: Must do/see in Scotland?

If you have time, go to Sky.  Beautiful fishing village.  Enjoy your trip.  It's an amazing country along with Ireland.

Contributor

There are some wonderful suggestions on here already, so I will simply wish you a fabulous trip!

I absolutely ADORE Scotland. You are in for such a treat. Heart

I will just say I was there very often for work in the past traveling and going around as a single traveler often and I always felt comfortable. 

I love that we are technically speaking the same language, but so different....the men sound so sexy in my opinion, too. Just a side note!

Castle! You are in the right city --- go to the castle and honestly, just soak up the beauty. It is such a refreshing change from all the new building much of us experience in the States. 

Wishing you wonderful travels.Smiley Happy

Take care

Esteemed Contributor

Just went to Scotland in October. Enjoy your trip! I went on a Tauck Tour so I didn’t have to plan. But, we usually stay a couple of days extra & usually ask the Concierge at the hotel about day trips close to he hotel that are of interest. We’ve had very good luck & have seen sights off the beaten path.
Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Gosh, you are really asking for advice at the last minute!

I am guessing you are staying the entire time in Edinburgh, and just doing day driving trips (??).

Of course you have to see the castle, the old town, and the Royal Mile.  If you like whisky, you could visit a distillery to have a taste.

With the car you can take a drive to see Loch Ness (touristy), or Loch Lomond, or even make it to Stirling Castle, or St. Andrews.

We rented a car, but we drove all over the country, all the way to the Isle of Skye, etc.  We really like visiting castles and cathedrals.  

I make advance reservations often for special restaurants I want to try as well.  

Be aware that it can be quite chilly and rainy in Scotland this time of year, so pack appropriately.  Have a great time!

Yes I haven't been very organized for this trip!  I had a bad cold and it put me behind.  I have heard the whiskey distilleries are fun to visit and for sure I would like to combine some hiking and a castle or two.

Respected Contributor

I just got back from Scotland Monday.  We had a great time!  Thank goodness my daughter did the driving it was very scary!  Lots of roundabouts.  We took a tour to the highlands, drove ourselves to St. Andrews, went to a distillery.  We ate at some nice restaurants.

I always felt safe and yes the men have really sexy accents!

It was very cold I am sure glad I had my heavy jacket.

If I did it again I wouldn't rent a car I would just pay to be driven where I need to go.

We are thinking of New Zealand for our next trip but I told my daughter she can choose next we usually take turns deciding where to go.  Taking trips is our mother/daughter thing she is single no kids.  We hadn't traveled in 5 years due to covid, our last trip was to Italy.

Esteemed Contributor

@spumoni99  Thanks for following up; glad you had a great time.  I've seen in a few places that the most difficult part about driving over there is when you have to come back and drive as you normally do!  

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@spumoni99  Thanks for following up; glad you had a great time.  I've seen in a few places that the most difficult part about driving over there is when you have to come back and drive as you normally do!  

Its funny you said that, I asked my daughter if it now seemed strange to drive here and she said a resounding NO! She said she could never get use to driving on the wrong side of the road! When we rentedthe car they gave us a plastic bracelet that said "drive on the left" and on each side of the windshield there was a sticker with a reminder "drive on the left" I think the roundabouts were the worst part.