Honored Contributor

I will be travelling to Morocco this fall and I am looking for must-see recommendations from those whom may have visited the area.

Thank you in advance.

Esteemed Contributor
Its been a very long time ago but we went to Casablanca, Marrakech, and Fez. The food is scumptous ( Pigeon Pie which you eat with our hands was great) and the open markets are wonderful. Brass, copper and hand painted pottery are frequent souvenirs. Wear somewhat modest clothing as you'll be in an Arab country.
Respected Contributor

I was there for a month 50 years ago. It was a sensory experience as opposed to visiting attractions. The smells of food and spices, the constant activity in the square in Marakkech. Drinking mint tea in the afternoon and watching people go by. 

Learning that bargaining was expected in the medina, and that all merchants who sold similar goods had the same bottom line price. Becoming aware that everyone was trying to sell you something.

We got a jeep and went out to the Atlas Mountains. Went to a seaside resort in the south. I remember always being made to feel like I was a tourist, not a visitor. We rarely spent time indoors.

Honored Contributor

@patbz Is it easy to ship items overseas? Those marketplaces look amazing.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 I'm soo sorry there was an uncomfortable factor during your visit there, I like to think tourism is encouraged and treated accordingly now.  I am a little concerned about not being able to speak Arabic.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH   Travel, as opposed to relaxing in a resort, allows us to experience cultural differences, and that means having some uncomfortable moments. OK with me. That's how we learn.

Morocco (and Curacao) is one of the most multilingual places I've visited. Plenty of French, Spanish and English spoken.

When I was there boys around 8-10 years old would approach you in the square and offer their services as guides in the medina. Those kids could speak 10 different languages! Totally charming, but I preferred wandering around on my own.

Please tell us about your trip when you come back.

Esteemed Contributor
I don't buy more than I can personally carry. That said, I once saw someone on a cruise fold up a Moroccan rug and bring it home in a suitcase.
Honored Contributor

I've never been there, but my father in law (of all people) went there alone.  He's fluent in French and liked his stay there.  He's also been in Tunsia.

Respected Contributor

My brother was stationed in Morocco many years ago. He was in the USN and spoke several languages as did most of the natives....he was in Marrakesh 

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH     I've been thinking about your travel plans for Morocco. What will you do?