Esteemed Contributor

Middle name on my plane ticket....

I have a ticket on Southwest for June and my middle name is on it. My Driver's license only has my middle initial on it.

I didn't see anything on the Southwest website that said they had to match, but I got worried and called their Customer Service. The lady was very nice and told me that it shouldn't matter unless I got "Barney Fife" when I checked in.

I am still uneasy....does anyone have experience with this? I booked online and I am sure if if said at the time to make sure it matched before I clicked purchase, I would have made sure.....

Occasional Contributor

Re: Middle name on my plane ticket....

Make or take a copy of something that has your full name on it.   Birth certificate, marriage license, passport anything that you have to prove that is your middle name.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Take a deep breath. 

I’m sure you will be fine 

Valued Contributor

Not long ago I made a reservation with SW for a friend who was coming in for a wedding, my sisters and I were paying for the ticket.  Anyways, on SW website, the order in which you input your name is first name, then last.  I'm used to last name then first.  Didn't realize it until after I printed the info out. 

I simply called SW and explained to them what happened. They said to be safe to change it back, which I did.  She said it depends on who you get at TSA.  

Helen852
Respected Contributor

I've had this happen quite often, and never had a problem. As long as the middle initial matches the first letter of the middle name on your ID, you should be fine. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I had that happen once on Jet Blue.  Had to go to a ticket agent and it was straightened out without any problems.  Haven't had any issues since although I have my full 3 names on my passport and typically only a first, last and middle initial on the boarding pass.

Esteemed Contributor

I fly often and have never had a problem.   Many times my flight tickets only have my middle initial and my middle name is printed in full on my passport.   Don't worry, I am sure you are not on the "no fly" list.    Have a nice flightSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really wish I could pull up an old ticket, because I swear my middle name doesn’t even get printed on it regardless of how I bought the ticket. I even repeatedly asked the agent on my last foreign trip as the reservation sent to me excluded it too.

At any rate, when I originally set up my SW account, I didn’t include my middle name and it was set up that way until very recently when I had them add it in order to get my TSA Precheck (I concluded that was the reason I never received it.) My last domestic trip in February on SW didn’t have it on there even though all my other forms of ID include it.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I fly often and have never had a problem.   Many times my flight tickets only have my middle initial and my middle name is printed in full on my passport.   Don't worry, I am sure you are not on the "no fly" list.    Have a nice flightSmiley Happy

@LindaSal @Nataliesgramma   I don't know.  OP has been on these boards for awhile and that may have gotten her on SOME kind of list!  'Ya think????  Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I changed my Southwest Airlines (and others) to reflect my first name that is on my DL, TSA, Passport as well as Social Security and Medicare. It can be a problem if your ticketed name and ID name do not match. I may not be but it could. 

I went by by middle name until I reached SS/Medicare age and until all the travel security document requirements.