Super Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper  Thanks for the information.  All I was saying about time or money not being an object is I don't want to rush a Mediterranean Cruise that I may only go on once in a lifetime by going 7 days when I should have gone 14 days and truly enjoyed the experience vs. being rushed around.  As for the money part I was saying that only as requesting to please just give me your best overall cruise experience you've had.  I don't like throwing money away either but I've learned on trips you tend to get what you pay for.  We've cruised on Celebrity before in the Caribbean and enjoyed it and especially enjoyed our family Tauck riverboat cruise on the Rhine.  

Contributor

@Mumof2Sorry that I am just getting back to you now. This will be our first time on Viking. We have cruised many times before, but always with the kids. This time it is just me and hubby. Viking gives you a lot for your money. They include one excursion at each port (although we booked 4 on our own), beer and wine included, free wi-fi, etc.  You should check out their website.  We didn't find airfare outrageously expensive out of Newark, NJ.  You can book through Viking, but there was no way we wanted a layover and that's all they seemed to offer.  Oh, another thing, all of Viking's staterooms include a balcony/veranda.  I would have wanted one anyway because that's what we prefer.  We are staying a few extra days at the beginning of our trip in Barcelona.  Mostly because Barcelona looks like a lot of fun and I know we will have a good time. Give me a shout-out mid September and I will fill you in with details of the trip.  Good luck with your search!

Super Contributor

Re: Mediterranean Cruise?

[ Edited ]

@PartDeux 'Viking sounds very good and I'm sure you'll have a great time.  We usually like you take care of our own flights too.   When we traveled with Tauck on a riverboat cruise they were able to get us flights at great prices and even got us an upgrade to Delta's Business Comfort Plus where we each had a seat that converted to a bed which was amazing for a long flight.  What was the most amazing about it was we could never have gotten the price for those type of seats on our own without it being so much more expensive. 

We are going to take our 17 and 20 year old when we go which will likely be next year if all goes well.   What cruises lines did you travel along with your children? 

Have a great time!  

Contributor
@Mumof2 We cruised on Royal Caribbean to Alaska, Bemuda and Nova Scotia with the kids, but they were pre-highschool when we did. Then came private high school and college for each of them and the pricey vacations stopped. Our youngest graduated last year, and so did the tuition payments, so my husband and I decided this Viking cruise would be a graduation gift to ourselves!! Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

@PartDeux Those cruises sound wonderful to all of those locations.  I hear you about the private high school and college.  One is in college and the other is a junior in private high school.  It's a lot I know.  Glad you are now able to enjoy your "graduation gift".  I have no idea what we will do with ourselves in 6-7 years.  LOL!

Super Contributor

@PartDeux  How was your cruise from Barcelona to Venice with Viking?  I'm sure it was amazing.  Would love to hear about it.  Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Just wanted to alert you that Royal Caribbean has a current promotion that the fare for the second person in a cabin is 50% off.  That means you could get 2 cabins and effectively only pay for 3 people (1 +1/2+1+1/2=3).  They also have some cabins with adjoining doors, which are very convenient.  Ship cabins are very small; four adults are not going to be comfortable in them, IMO.  As far as I know, Royal Caribbean is the only cruise line which has this deal for the second person in a cabin, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover  Royal has a sale every other day, usually with little change to the overall cost.  Until final payment (and I guess with some caveats), you can usually reprice your cruise as long as the cabin category is still available.  The best prices used to be when the cruises were first announced, but with the addition of non refundable deposits, I’m not sure that’s the case anymore for me (I can’t commit that far ahead).  Just book when the cost is reasonable for you and then try to catch any future price breaks (if any) for repricing. (Assuming you don’t live in another country where the rules are different.)

Super Contributor

@dawg lover and @Alter Ego 

Thanks so much for your information from both of you.  I appreciate letting me know that RC has many sales and what to look for.  We would likely be getting two rooms for the four of us as dawg lover suggested.  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: Mediterranean Cruise?

[ Edited ]

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise next week on Celebrity.  We are going to Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Kotor, Malta, Sicily, Naples and Rome.  Seven days is not enough for a Med cruise.  I suggest at least a ten day or twelve day (or more) cruise.  The cruise lines Princess, Royal Carribean, or Celebrity are good, you can't really go wrong with them.  I've been on several cruises and they were all great.