Super Contributor

Has anyone taken a Mediterranean cruise in the last few years and if so which cruise line did you use and would you use them again.  Also, how long was your cruise.  Thanks so much for any feedback!

Contributor

We’ve bee on a ten day cruise to the Mediterranean on Celebrity starting at Venice and ending in Barcelona. It truly was the trip of a lifetime and I would recommend it to anyone.

Super Contributor

Alexia,

Thanks!  Did you do the cruise where you went to Croatia?  

Frequent Contributor

@Mumof2 I went on a 10-day cruise on MSC cruiseline that started and ended in Genoa, Italy and went to Dubrovnic, Croatia as one of the many ports.  We loved it!  

Contributor

Yes, it went to Croatia—loved it. We also stopped in  Santorini,  Rome, Florence, Naples, Nice, Capri, and ended in Barcelona. It was just the best.

Esteemed Contributor

About 6 years ago we did a back to back repositioning cruise on Celebrity that included Cittivechia, Istanbul, Epheus (can't over recommend Epheus it is fantastic).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mediterranean Cruise?

[ Edited ]

I’ve been on a few Mediterranean cruises (four) - one on one of the largest ships in the world (Oasis of the Sea), but mostly on the smaller ships as the large ships are limited to where they can dock. Plus, Mediterranean cruises are more about the ports and you are off the ship most days for long stretches of time.

I did go to Dubrovnik a few years ago (10+?) and remember it was very nice. Pre-Game of Thrones. I think I remember the walled city was a bus ride away from the dock; wasn’t in walking distance. (Anyone can correct me though)

I went last year in September on Rhapsody of the Sea. It was only a 7 day cruise (all I could afford to take off, would recommend as long as you can, making sure you also have a few days to spend in the port you depart from). This was a “Greek Island” cruise out of Venice that, due to the weather, only stopped at one of the three Greek islands we were supposed to stop. We also stopped in Athens and Montenegro. Since we missed some stops, they were able to make Athens an overnight and added on Split Croatia. Both Montenegro and Split were very very nice. Would recommend the entire Dalmatian coast. But, the one thing to remember about cruising is that you should never cruise if you really want to go to a particular stop. There is always a chance of a change in schedule. Obviously some more than others, but there’s always the chance of a sick passenger effecting the cruise schedule. I’ve had a change in schedule 2 of my 4 Mediterranean cruises. (To be fair, there is probably very little chance that the Croatia ports will be missed, but I just have to mention because it’s something people forget.)

Also, as an FYI, I thought I heard that Venice was making some changes and cruise ships would no longer cruise past St Mark’s Square and the Bridge of Sighs. Not sure where they would stop going forward. This is actually quite disappointing as it was one of the most amazing ports!

Respected Contributor

I actually just returned three days ago from an AMAZING 10 day cruise on Celebrity in the eastern Mediterranean. The ship departed Venice and stopped in Split, Athens and four other Greek islands.  Because I had a shore excursion booked in each place, the days involved early mornings, lots of walking, and busy schedules. It was also VERY hot. However, I knew all that in advance and was well prepared--I did NOT go on this cruise to relax.

Last summer my brother cruised the western Mediterranean from Rome to Barcelona, stopping in France as well. His NCL cruise was only a week but also featured port calls every day.

You may want to check the different itineraries to see what would appeal to you.  Royal Caribbean or NCL might be a good choice for a one week first time visit.  Holland America offers some great itineraries but many of the cruises run a bit longer (12 days and up).  I have also sailed on Princess to the Baltic--again, a busy schedule but great to see so many different Scandinavian countries. The grande dame is Cunard line, but it is more famous for translatlantic crossings.  There are also lower budget lines like MSC and Costa, which are popular with Europeans, and the much more expensive all-inclusive lines.

Wherever you go you should allow some pre-cruise days in order to see that city and to avoid any flight delays.

I would always choose to cruise the Mediterranean--the only prohibiition is the expensive international airfare.

Also, remember luggage restrictions of 50 pounds--the longer the trip, the more clothes that may be required!

Occasional Contributor

last year we took a ten- or eleven-day cruise on Seabourn,  We started in Monte Carlo.  Among our favorite ports were Giardini Naxos (Taormina, Sicily), and Valletta, Malta.  

We/I loved the cruise so much that we/I would repeat it EXACTLY as it was, ports and all...

My  preferences  include  smaller ships,  and  I like the ship itself, so, I don’t feel that I need to “do” the port.  I sometimes stay onboard and just relax.  It’s my cruise, my choice.  My husband is the earlier riser.  I’m the lounge lizard, the dreamer.  We love being together and love the cruise experience.

We have other cruises in the works, and our next one, also Mediterranean, leaves in one month.

Contributor

The best vacation we ever had. Two weeks on Royal Caribbean’s Brilliance of the Sea from Barcelona and Back. A perfect way to see many cities without schlepping bags and packing and unpacking.  A car and driver are cost effective when there are 4 or 6 people in every port. No excursions to wait for late fellow travelers. I loved every minute and one of the few times I wanted to ride again.