Honored Contributor

If you have an upcoming Hawaii vacation planned, make sure you go to the Big Island to see Mauna Loa erupting.  It's actually quite beautiful and before anyone goes off on me, it's not expected to cause danger to any homes or people.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife    My instinct would be to stay away, but if you say its okay, I'd consider it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

You can't walk right up to it.  It's at a quite high elevation (13K ft. in elevation).  Even "close" up, you're still quite a distance away.  There is typically a big influx of tourists when this happens, especially inter-island.  I told my husband we should go, but our schedules are quite hectic this week and next. This particular volcano hasn't erupted since 1984.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I forgot to mention, if you want to see some great pictures and videos, you should check out hawaiinewsnow.com.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Kachina624 

You can't walk right up to it.  It's at a quite high elevation (13K ft. in elevation).  Even "close" up, you're still quite a distance away.  There is typically a big influx of tourists when this happens, especially inter-island.  I told my husband we should go, but our schedules are quite hectic this week and next. This particular volcano hasn't erupted since 1984.

@SurferWife    I know, and today I heard it's the largest volcano in the world.  I bet it's best at night.  It would be awesome to see.  You ought to make the effort to see it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor
I know someone going end of December; I assume it would be over by then. Would be fascinating to see.
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego 

It could take weeks to even a few months for the lava to flow from the summit to the ocean, so maybe they'll get to see it.

Definitely anyone coming in the next week or two will get some great views.

Honored Contributor

I have visited Volcanoes National Park a few times in years past. Mauna Loa was active back then.  My DH and I walked over the hardened lava that looked like cooled taffy and there were pockets and bubbles when the lava was still red and oozing out.  The small of sulfur was awful.

Some buildings in small village were destroyed.  It was amazing to see.  I wondered why tourists were allowed in that area, but I went anyway,

Of course the bulk of the lava was going the opposite direction into the ocean.  We took a cruise at night to see it.  I would love to see it again.  

Esteemed Contributor

We had done a Hawaiian cruise between islands in 2012.  I recall at that time being able to see lava flowing into the ocean at night from the ship.  It was certainly a sight to see.  Of course we were pretty far away as they said there is a danger from the lava even in the water.  It is a beautiful place.

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife  Yes, I have been watching news reports of it and it's really stunning to see. I think I would definitely make the effort to try and witness it with my own eyeballs if I were there and close enough. If you do go, enjoy and send us a few photos!