Esteemed Contributor

I did post before about this topic but did not actually ask what combinations of luggage you would take on a plane and or check when you are taking a long trip of more than a week.  We are planning a May visit (cruise) to Hawaii.  It will be a long plane flight from the East Coast.  Not looking forward to the sit down time.  But that is not my question.  

I usually never take anything on the plane.  I fly SW and I check everything.  The flight is only less than 3 hours for most of our previous vacations, and no need to worry about what fits under the set or overhead.  (I am five feet tall and the over head is a nightmare for me.  

In any case we will be on American. I can buy an under the seat bag and I can check free one bag.  HOW BIG A BAG DO YOU TAKE WHEN YOU TAKE LONG TRIPS to be checked.  I have a 27-28 inch ors 24 inch wheeled bag and I can also bring one for my hubby.  I also have a wheeled garment bag but was told since there is no reason to pack formal I might not want to use it.  (It is very handy--- clothes on hangers ready to put in closet).  

Just don't know what to use for easy travel. Looking at size options.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Luggage for Plane advice

[ Edited ]

I use my 25" suitcase for long trips, and a carry-on.  I agree with not needing the wheeled garment bag but I don't usually hang my clothes up when I travel.  

I have purchased an under-the-seat bag but haven't used it.  I'm sure tho it would end up in the overhead as I don't see it fitting under an airline seat.  

Honored Contributor

Do you know if there's a weight limit on your checked bag?  It's hard to pack a 25+" suitcase without it being over 50 lbs which usually incurs an extra fee.  You use a carry-on for things often pilfered like cameras, medication, jewelry.  You might fit in an extra change of clothes in case your luggage is misplaced.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have a 25 inch and a 27 inch.  I am trying to  make up my mind.  I would have one and hubby would have another, or not.  Not wanting to have to manipulate too much in any airport or to and from any airport if I can get away with smaller bags.  

I have a self scale...or I should say... I can not lift 50 pounds.  So I test it myself.  Even 40 is a bit of a stretch.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I have flown to Hawaii from the east coast quite a few times.  I would suggest that you and your DH lay out what you are taking,and put half of your things and half of his things in a suitcase that it fits in comfortably, then put the other half of yours and his stuff in the  other suitcase.

it doesn't matter what size you take...just he sure you are under 50 lbs. you might find that using the 24 inch and the 28 inch one is perfect..one for you and one for your DH.  If you are going with a friend instead of DH, take the large bag if all does not fit in the 24 inch.

Next  bring a carry on for each of you.  It doesn't need to be large carry on, just one,that  can hold your handbag  and other essentials and maybe two pairs of pants and tops and underware.

the reason behind this...one time our luggage was lost when we flew to cruise.  All we had was the clothing on our back and that that was in our carry on.  We had to make due for two days before our luggage caught up to us.

Anither time, my luggage showed up at the carasol, but my DH's did not.  We now split our clothing in two bags so if that happens again, we each have something to wear.

Hawaii is very casual.  Everyone wears shorts and sandals.  You will however need something other than shorts for dinner on the ship. If you have sun dresses, they work, and you can roll them up and stuff them into small spaces.

You will find me that you really won't need to handle your bags.  Just the carry on.  Make sure that ime is not too big.

Respected Contributor

IF I check a bag, it's a 26" one, but I only do that if I'm going to be traveling for at least 2 weeks with limited access to laundry.

As I've mentioned in a previous thread, I'll be doing a 7 day Hawaiian cruise next May, with a extra day or 2 tacked on the front. My bags will be my 21" rollerboard (in the overhead) and a backpack (under the seat). 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 and @Carmie have both given you excellent advice. I’d also suggest taking a picture of your checked suitcases that shows the completed luggage tags before going to the airport. The only time an airline lost our luggage was when we returned home from Hawaii. We spent about 15 - 20 minutes at National Airport (it seemed much longer after our overnight flight from LAX) looking through pictures of suitcases to help them recognize our luggage. If we’d thought to take a picture beforehand, we could have just sent it to the airline clerk and gone home. 

I’ve used a Vera Bradley backpack as a carry-on bag. That size fits pretty well under the seat and holds a lot. I also bring a medium sized tote bag as my (carry-on) purse. I pack a collapsible cross-body purse in my checked suitcase for daily use on the trip. Between the backpack and the tote bag, I can fit all of the items Kachina and Carmie have recommended carrying with you. I’ve noticed that Pinterest has a lot of memes (?) with packing suggestions, many of which are specific to cruises. I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii!

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I travel all over the world, primarily by plane and ship.  We take 10 day to 5 week trips.  That said, we each check a medium size suitcase (they are the size that most out in overhead bin).  In addition, I pack inside my suitcase a spare le sportsac (for souvenirs and overflow) and I use another le sports as carryon (out my crossover purse in that) and DH carrys a backpack for cameras and electronics.  We roll up our clothing and either hand wash or use a laundramat.

New Contributor

I am on the  road normally 2-3 weeks per month.  I always take ONLY my Samantha Brown carry -on.  It fits in all overhead bins except the smallest regional carriers.  I have taken this bag to Eurpoe for three weeks.....it is full of smart features and if you pack with the  thought that everything goes with everything you can go anywhere!  I have had many suitaces and none are as good as the one from Samantha.

Honored Contributor

We don't fly much so you can take my recommendation for what it's worth.  The first thing you need to do is check the luggage size limits for the airlines you are likely to fly with.  After that, the size bag I would choose would depend on how long I was going to be gone and the assortment of situations I would be in.  Sometimes you can live with less and wear certain things more than once.  On a cruise, though, you need options for day, evening, and a fancy dinner or two.  If it were me, I would take the largest suitcase I could and pack the majority of my clothing it it.  I would then take a carry-on bag with my toiletries, skincare, makeup, medications, jammies, a clean pair or two of undies, jeans and a couple of tops, just in case my luggage didn't arrive with me.